Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
23-r110
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After installing recent MS W10 upgrade, my 23-r110 will not access my OfficeJet Pro 6830 Model E3EO2A. Other computers on my wireless network that have also been upgraded do not have any issues with accessing the printer. The 6830 appears in Devices and Printers on the 23-r110 but a right click does not allow me to set it as default. Attempting to add the 6830 results in no printer found and an error indicating that the Print Spooler is not running. However, Services shows the Print Spooler to be running. I am able to enter the IP address for the 6830 (192.168.0.12) in a browser window and bring up the HP Embedded Web Server for the 6830. The WSD Print Provider appeares in Device Manager as does the printer with a properties check showing normal operation. I have completely re-installed the printer software from HP (on-line). Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

John

Knoxville TN

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Researching the MicroSoft W10 posts, it appears that ithis is a common fault with W10 update 1703 and all network printers are affected.  However, I have 4 other systems running W10 (1703) that are not affected.  Anyway, since I am running Windows 10 HOME, I do not see an option to turn off updates. Can you suggest one?

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi! @k9rsq, Thanks for stopping by HP forums!

I understand you have issues accessing the printer from your PC.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

As you mentioned that you are unable to set the printer to default and you are getting an error to enable print spooler services on your PC.

I would suggest try uninstalling the printer software from root level and reinstall the drivers and check if it helps.

Please try the steps recommended below.

1. Navigate to Start >Type Devices and Printers in the Search > Select it from the results

2. Highlight your printer object and Right Click

3. Choose Remove Device

4. Highlight something else from the list

5. Click the Print Server Properties button from the toolbar

6. Select the Drivers Tab

7. Highlight the appropriate print driver

8. Click Remove

9. Check the Remove Driver and Driver Package option when prompted

10. Click OK

Update the printer software using this link.

Also, refer this article to further troubleshoot printer not found during network driver setup.

I'll keep an eye out for your response.  

I hope you have a great day! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the response.

1. I have not made any changes to the printer. Only the HP 23-r110 is unable to access the printer.

2. Attempting to remove the 6830 as suggested was not sucessful. There was no "completion" following a "yes" response to "Are you sure.." and the 6830 shows a status of "not connected" and "driver not available", but it is still in the list.

3. Selecting another item on the list and accessing Print ServerProperties gave a response that the Print Spooler was not running. Starting the Print Server via Services did not change the response.

4. Unable to proceed with your steps 6 - 10 due to Print Spooler issue.

5. I have reinstalled OJ6830_73.exe several times.

Due to the HP23-r110 being the only system affected (other ASUS and Gateways laptops are on the network running the latest update of W10 and accessing the 6830 with no issue), I am inclined to think that the problem is with the HP 23-r110 and not the 6830.

Any other suggesitons will be most welcome.

--

John

Knoxville, TN

HP Recommended

As a follow-on to my thought that the HP23-r110 is the root of the problem, I just noted that I can not "print" to any of the other "printer devices" (i.e. CUTE PDF Writer, ADOBE PDF, etc) that appear under Devices and Printers. Previously I could use these "printers" to create a file for further use.

--

John

Knoxville, TN

HP Recommended

@k9rsq

Thanks for the reply.

Superb job on trying the different steps to isolate the issue.

I understand the issue better now.

Try below mentioned steps to fix this issue.

• Manually connect the printer to your network.
  • Run the HP Print and Scan Doctor.
  • Temporarily disable firewall software on the computer.
  • Uninstall and reinstall the HP driver and software.

Click here and follow the steps mentioned in the document to perform above mentioned steps.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Continuing after the restart.

1. Devices & Printers showed no change.

2. Programs & features showed the previous OJ 6830 s/w to be not listed.

3. Services showed Print Spooler with an Automatic Start, but not running .. so I manually started the service and it is now running.

4. I reinstalled OJ6830_73.exe from downloaded copy.

5. Since the 6830(6835) was still connected by both CAT5 and Wireless (192.168.0.12) and the 23-r110 has only wireless access, I initally selected a wireless connection.  Te device at 192.168.0.12 was found but the install failed (after 5+ minutes) with the response that the device could not be installed over the network.

6. I then tried a wired connection, the wizared found the 192.168.0.12 device, but I then received the same error.

7. I then selected "connect later" and received a "sucessful installation response .. but the printer has not yet been connected to the network" ... but it has and other PC's can still access it.

I will now try a power cycle on the entire system and see if that has any effect and will advise in a followon post.

HP Recommended

My initial response to your 03:37pm response some how got lost...

to recap, I connected the printer via CAT5 to my router and Devices & Printers then showed 2 entries. I ran P&S Dr 5.0 and it showed 2 entries .. one with the correct IP address (192.168.0.12) and the other with an older ip address which belonged to a previous 6830 that was replaced under warranty. I did an uninstall on the OJ 6830 basic devce software and received two errors, one on the current serial number and one on the previous serial number. I then did the requested restart.

sorry if this appears out of sequence in the replies.

HP Recommended

After having done a cold boot on the router, printer, and 23-r110, and with the CAT5 cable disconnected, the only thing that had changed was a new IP address for the printer .. now 192.168.0.24.

Going back to Devices and Printers and selecting "add printer", it correctly identified the 6830/6835 .. and I now have 2 of the 6830's appearing in D&P .. one with a status of not connected (and greyed) and the other with a status of driver not available.

I seem to be going in circles .. please hang with me while I await the next suggestion.

--

John

HP Recommended

@k9rsq

It looks like you were interacting with @sandytechy20, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 

I'm the Riddle_Decipher & I'm at your service. 

I've reviewed your post and here's the deal, if none of the steps mentioned on this link (Click here) where handy or resolved your concern, perhaps you could try installing the windows built-in drivers: Click here for details.

Keep me posted for further assistance 😉

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Uninstalling the massive windows 10 build 1703 update brought all my printers back into service on the HP 23-r110.

However, as I am running Windows 10 Home, I am now concerned that MS will again try to make this update.  Is there any way that I can block that update until any necessary fixes are installed?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.