Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My printer is not printing in color...again.  Uninstalled and reinstalled all version of the software listed on this site to no avail.  I am not sure what the answer is.  

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@dlewis5150

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Are you able to copy in color?

Let me know how this report looks: 

1. Load plain paper into the input tray.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

3. Touch Tools, and then touch Print Quality Report.

Clean the ink cartridges:

1. Load plain paper into the input tray.

2. On the printer control panel, swipe the display to the left, and then touch Setup.

3. Touch Tools, and then touch Clean Cartridges.

4. The printer performs the automated cleaning process and then prints a Print Quality Diagnostic page.

• If the print quality is acceptable, you can stop troubleshooting.

5. If the print quality is unacceptable, touch OK for a Second-level Cleaning when prompted to continue the next level of cleaning.

NOTE: 

If the ink cartridge nozzles are badly clogged, it might require another cleaning cycle. If so, wait 30 minutes before you perform both levels of cleaning again.

If the issue persists, please perform the remaining steps from this document: https://support.hp.com/in-en/product/hp-officejet-3830-all-in-one-printer-series/7172321/document/c0...

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

After following all steps outlined, the printer worked for a day and started printing black and white again.

I do not believe this is the perm solution.  

HP Recommended

Are you able to copy in color? Does the report have color in it?

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The printer will print color for the first few prints and then will not print in color again.  I have done the installation process several times.  I installed again this morning, but the color only lasted one print.  

Its not the settings or the cartridges.  

This is a actual malfunction of the drivers.  I am not sure where or what drivers will make this function.

HP Recommended

I would like to know about copying in color as that proves the hardware functionality of the Printer. Also, please print the print quality report as requested earlier and let us know if you see color in it?

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Using the copier function, it copies/prints in color. 

Using the print function from the computer, its black and white.

HP Recommended

Try the built-in drivers: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01796879

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Ok, after a bit of coaxing, it is working.  I will check back if this stops.

May I ask what the difference is in the drivers on the computer vs. the drivers on your website.

HP Recommended

I'll follow up with you in two days. It's a bug in the driver at the moment because of which this issue is occurring else the built-in drivers are just basic drivers. 

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.