Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 3830 All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

There seems to be a large number of people with this issue but none of the solutions presented help.

From what I can tell, the printer always defaults to Monochrome printing as soon as you hit the print button, even if you change it to color printing.   However it will do color copies without issue and print color test pages without issue so I know the printer has no technical issues with printing color such as a bad print head, bad color cartridge or other such things.

Printer options and settings, accessed through any screen or app do not list any options that allow me to change color settings at all.

From MS Word using x.docx file:  There is no option presented for printing in color.

From MS Edge PDF viewer using a x.pdf file: Preview shows the doc in color and an option is presented to change the color settings however when I set the setting to Color and hit print, it always prints Monochrome.  Further even if you set Color to default, it still reverts to Monochrome as default.

From Adobe Acrobat Reader:  Preview shows doc in color.  Print in Greyscale is not checked. Document prints in Monochrome.

I have completely removed all HP drivers from the system, Also used the printui.exe /s command to remove drivers, performed a firmware update, reset the printer to factory defaults and reinstalled all the drivers and software with no resolution to the issue.

I have also used the HP Print and Scan Doctor utility without any success so I am at a total loss here and since I am out of warranty (by less than a month of course) and am beginning to wonder if my only recourse is a new printer.  Very disappointed in HP for the first time in my life.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi,

Try following below version of the HP Print and Scan Doctor Utility by selecting your printer:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe

Be sure to restart your PC and allow the utility to complete the process, then check for any difference.

Try printing and check for any change, if the same remains try printing using the newly added print queue copy and check.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.