11-19-2019 05:21 PM
One of my clients recently purchased a new (Dell) laptop with W10, they have an existing HP OfficeJet 4650 printer that works fine with their old W10 laptop. After downloading/installing the latest drivers (full package) from the HP website, W10 ‘found’ the printer (wireless), seemed to install fine. However, it will only print ‘Monochrome’.
For example, I open a .jpg and attempt to say I want to print it (to bring up the print dialogue window), I will click on ‘Advanced Settings’, then scroll down to see the color settings, it says ‘Monochrome’. When I change it to ‘Color’ and attempt to save that setting, it displays “color was changed to monochrome because of a conflict with another printer setting".
This problem is identical to a previous post (started on 12/6/17), but that topic was closed on 2/25/19, so I am opening a new thread.
i tried deleting / re-adding the drivers based on the 12-step suggestion in the earlier thread, but the symptoms did not change.
i also noticed in other print dialog boxes, there is no option to specify color or black/white. It’s almost as though the drivers ‘think’ that this is not a color printer.
11-22-2019 06:32 AM
Welcome to HP support community.
Did you uninstall the printer driver from root level?
If not, follow the below steps:
Perform root level uninstallation to remove all the printer related software's.
- In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
- Select your HP printer.
- Select Uninstall.
- In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
- In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
- Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
- Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
- Click on Drivers tab.
- Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
- Select OK.
- Remove all instances of the same.
- Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
- Close Devices and Printers.
- Restart the PC again.
Download and install printer full feature driver
Click here to download the driver.
Update the printer firmware
Follow the steps mentioned in this HP document to update firmware:- Click here
Once you install the printer, change the bellow settings to print in color.
- Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button , and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.
- Right-click the printer that you want to use, and then click Printing preferences.
- Make your choices, and then click OK.
- Under option Print color select color , then the OK button.
Let me know how it goes.
To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.
I am an HP Employee