Post new question
Question
HP 5740 Printer - Alignment Fail
Replies (36)

Honor Student
Message 21 of 37 (419 Views)

Re: HP 5740 Printer - Alignment Fail

I have only used this hp 5746 all in one about a dozen times, ink ran out and I replaced it, now the alignment fails every time, and all the other suggestions to fix this have not worked. Please advise how to reset...

Student
Message 22 of 37 (363 Views)

It appears that I'm having trouble with alignment too.  The printer is leaving a blank row at regular intervals.

I tried the "hard reset", but wasn't prompted for an alignment.

I would like to try your secret reset.

Thanks

HP Officejet 5740

New Cartridges

Honor Student
Message 23 of 37 (347 Views)

didn't work and where is my inbox?  How do I reset the printer?

Student
Message 24 of 37 (258 Views)

Your procedure is not working for me.

I just had a replace windows install done.

Student
Message 25 of 37 (241 Views)

I tried the reboot and removal and replacement of ink cartridges to test and repair alignment, but it did not work. I am still getting whole lines that either don't print at all or only half of the line prints and some spaces appear to not be getting enough ink while others are very clear, crisp and dark.  Could you please email me the next steps to try or any other helpful advice.  Thank you.

Honor Student
Message 26 of 37 (220 Views)

I am having print head alignment problems with my 5740 also. Have tried print head alignment and 3 stages of print head cleaning. Have also tried the reboot above. Still not working.
HP Support Agent
Message 27 of 37 (189 Views)

Hi @Rustyh72,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand you are getting an error message "Alignment failed" on your HP 5740 printer. I'll be really glad to help you with this,

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Are you using Genuine HP Cartridges?
What is the ink level for all cartridges?

In the meantime, let's try these steps here:

Please make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

Perform a Hard reset on the printer.

1. Ensure your printer is powered on.
2. Disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
3. Wait 60 seconds.
4. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
5. Press the Power button to turn on the printer (if it doesn't automatically reboot).

Next, with the printer powered on, remove all of the ink cartridges. Power the printer off with the power button and reboot immediately. Now, with the printer on, there should be a prompt to insert ink cartridges. Install the full set of ink as directed with the printer on. If it's working correctly it will ask you to do the alignments. Try it as normal. For more details, please follow the steps suggested in the support document for - HP Inkjet Printers - 'Alignment Unsuccessful' Error Message Displays - Click here

If it fails again, I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Honor Student
Message 28 of 37 (177 Views)

Hi Jeet singh
Tried the reboot as suggested in your private message. Problem remains. I'm using hp62 cartridges and they are about half full now. (Wasted half the ink trying to get it to work.)
Student
Message 29 of 37 (171 Views)

I am having the same problem with my printer.  I have tried the reboot, cleaning the cartridge.   Nothing seems to be working.  Help would be greatly appreciated.

HP Support Agent
Message 30 of 37 (154 Views)

Hi @Rustyh72,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue with alignment fail, don't worry as I have a few other steps which should help to resolve this issue,

Since this printer uses two cartridges, I would suggest you try using one cartridge at a time and check if it works.

If none works, it could either be an issue with the cartridge or with the printhead. Since the printhead is non-removable. I would suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation