Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My HP 8610 printer can't not find my network. All resets have been done. Software deleted twice and re installed but when I come to the network wizard (blue light flashing) it just searches but does find the network each used to. No change with PC or router.

Help please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@woodlands16

Good to hear that while not perfect, the Ethernet cable resolved the issue.

If you really need that Wireless option, you may decide to have the printer serviced -- or start looking for a replacement.   Wireless module replacement is not terribly expensive -- IF that is all that is wrong.  A  licensed printer technician at a local repair house could provide a cost estimate.

Good luck.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@woodlands16

Start with the Doctor:

HP Scan and Print Doctor (download)

More...

It sounds like you are trying to connect wirelessly (comment "blue light flashing").

Troubleshooting > Wireless, Networking & Internet > Wireless Connections & Networking

If the printer was "online" previously and is "offline":

Printer is Offline (Windows)

and / or

Printer Not Found During Network Driver Setup (Windows)

When you get to Step 3, try setting up the Manual Connection

Regardless of whether you did actually change anything, this document explains how to reset the network defaults and set up the connection:

No Connection after Router or Wi-Fi Settings Change

References and more places to look for help...

Reminder: 

Standard wireless (with a router) is NOT compatible with WiFi Direct.  If you are using regular Wireless, make sure the printer panel Wireless / Wifi Direct is actually OFF (Toggle the setting).

User Guide 

Chapter 8    Network Setup (starting on Page 105)

Chapter 10 Solve a Problem > Solve network problems (starting on Page 150)

Find Your Wireless WEP, WPA, WPA2 Password

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware, Videos, Advisories, How-to, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer series

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thank you for your reply. I have tried all of the suggested routes to re install the WiFi connection to my HP 8610 printer. When I do try WiFi wizard the printer just hangs with a circle turning and has to have the power cable disconnected. The printer does work fine with a USB connection.

HP Recommended

@woodlands16

Not sure... there is so much in those document that covers so many possible scenerios from "automatic" to "manual" connections, to Reset, to network defaults / reconnect.

I might be misunderstanding the situation:

..."when I come to the network wizard (blue light flashing) it just searches but does find the network each used to. "

If the Wi-Fi radio (wifi hardware in the printer) actually fails (rare), the WiFi blue light is NOT flashing but instead is "off".  In cases where the blue Wifi light is flashing on/ off, it (normally) indicates the printer is ready to attempt a connection.

User Guide > Page 151

I am perhaps missing something...

A TCP/IP port might help to establish a connection that has failed (but where the hardware and network are intact).   If you have not done so, consider / try the TCP/IP port connection.

Example:

1. How-to “Create TCP Port” Contributed by greenturtle

Create TCP IP port

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the Front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)
2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right click the printer and left click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.
3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:
Create & Use TCP IP port

Note that you can ALWAYS revert back to the original port that the HP software installed by selecting the HP port under the Ports tab (in Printer Properties)

Commentary

We have a fix that helps for failed software installations -- I think it does not apply here because you cannot reset the network defaults and then (re)establish any kind of network connection between the printer and your network. 

If I find anything else that may help, I will post back.

If another Expert wants to jump in, please do so.

Assuming the hardware and network are healthy, the connection should be possible.

Note that member reports that completing all troubleshooting in the Scan and Print Doctor and in document content has failed to provide a wireless connection between printer and network.  

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi I am trying another complete re install and reset of the printer as well. My comment was that the blue light flashes on and off but when I go for Wifi wizard the printer screen just hangs with a revolving circle and no SSID are ever shown.

To even try below wont work because no IP address shows in the printer winow only IP not connected so I am unable to find the IP address to create a TCP IP port.

Please remember I have no new software installed except for the Windows 7 downloads but 2 weeks ago all worked fine.

Create TCP IP port

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the Front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)
2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right click the printer and left click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.
3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

HP Recommended

@woodlands16

The software is the same for XP all the way to Windows 10.   

HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer series Full Feature Software and Drivers

If the Wireless blue light on the printer continues to flash, at least the Wireless is "on" (as opposed to failed / off).

That said, for a wireless / wired connection, the network must be ready to accept the connection before the software installation is able to progress past the first stages.

• If the printer will not connect to the network Wireless,
  • If the Ethernet option is available to you (you can locate the printer within reach of the router via Ethernet cable),
  • Consider trying the wired connection.

I cannot comment on whether "Windows 7 downloads" have impacted your network.  I don't have any Windows 7 machines (anymore).  I  cannot judge what, if any, impact "Windows 7 downloads" would / will have on the network or the Windows 7 File System.

Hopefully, this is nothing more than a "stuck" bit of network package exchange and the printer reset / manual input of the information / Ethernet connection will help.

I am sorry the effort has thus far proved fruitless in spite of your extensive work to complete all the troubleshooting.

@greenturtle - Any words of wisdom?  What is the member missing?  TIA

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@Dragon-Fur

Think we'll try an unconventional method to help.

Hi @woodlands16

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Will send you a private message (PM)  to resset the printer.

Look out for the PM (envelope icon) at the top right hand corner of the page.

Let us know if that helps.

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Hi @woodlands16

Thanks for trying out the procedure.

Question: was there any recent change in router or internet provider?

Trying to isolate that the router is "blocking" the discovery of the printer.

Can you try using a hot spot to see if the printer can be discovered? 

(Caution : will use some mobile data, but just to test and after that disconnect)

These resources will show you how if needed.

Connecting a printer using Wireless Setup Wizard  (OLD UI)

Have you tried restoring network defaults before?  The option for "Restore Network Defaults" can be seen at time 0:48 secs (under Network Setup)

How to Print and Scan after changing router

How to connect and use a computer with a hotspot

Let us know how that goes.

HP Recommended

Hi

There has been no change in the router or internet provider in over 12 months.

I have tried restore network defaults and no change there.

I can’t get my head around the hotspot method as if the printer shows no IP address then how can it be discovered?

Regards

John Boyle

HP Recommended

Hi @woodlands16

Just to clarify, the printer is not able to discover the hotspot during the Wireless Setup Wizard process?

If printer cannot find the hotspot network, then there will be no IP address.

If that's the case (since it also cannot find the home network), chances are the wireless module is defective.

If printer is still functional, we'd suggest connecting using Ethernet cable or even USB to print and scan.

Thanks for choosing HP!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.