Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5530
macOS 10.12 Sierra

I am having issues printing wirelessly from my MacBook Pro to my HP ENVY 5530 printer. I have had this printer for three years now and have never had much issue. I am using it at my university (I have had no issues with this the past 3 years) so I am using their wifi and do not have access to a router. When I use the "wireless setup wizard" it connects with no issues. It says there is "no encryption" and connects. However, it never had me enter a username or password (I have to enter one on my laptop to use the wifi, but not when I use the wifi on my phone, if that makes any difference). In the past I have been able to manually enter a username and password even, but now I cannot seem to find a way to do that. Once I am "connected" to the wifi it says "connection successful." But when I go to print something from my computer it says that my printer is disconnected. I have tried everything and I have been struggling with this all day. I have updated my printer, I have uninstalled and reinstalled everything. I honestly think it is because I cannot find a place to put in my university username and password? Is there another problem? PLEASE HELP!!!! 

Also, I have been reading other posts and some people say they can print from their phone or iPad, but I cannot do that either. I can only print if I connect my printer to my laptop via USB. A few times when trying to figure things out my printer will flash a blue screen with a number (it goes away quickly), then changes to a white screen and says to turn off printer because there is a problem. When I turn it off and back on...nothing changes and I can still not print. 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello, @CarolineJ18 – Greetings!

Thanks for reaching out! I’d like to be of your assistance 🙂

Going through your post, I see that the printer is not printing on your college network. Is the printer and the MAC connected to the same network? Check the IP address of the printer. Now open a web browser on your MAC and enter the IP address. If connected on the same network, the browser should load the printer EWS page.

If the printer EWS is coming on the browser, then try the steps below to try and reset the printer and to install the printer using the original printer drivers:

• Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.
  • Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.
  • Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.
  • Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.
  • Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.
  • Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list
  • Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners.
  • Click the “Add button” (+).
  • Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer.
  • Click “Print Using...”, and then select the name of your printer (By default “AirPrint” would be selected)

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Hey, thanks for the tips. Sadly when I type the IP address of my printer into a browser on my MAC it either says "safari cant open page" or "Access denied...the administrator of this proxy has not configured it to service requests from your host." I'm not sure what to do becuase I have never had issues in the past. My MacBook is connected to the same wifi as my laptop. Any other tips?? Thanks in advance. 

HP Recommended

I think the issue is that I cannot find a way to enter my username or password for the wifi. I guess technically the wifi is "open" but then once you go to the internet youre promted to log in. In the past I've been able to manually put in a username and password but I can not find a way to do that now. Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi @CarolineJ18,

Thank you for your reply, I'll be more than glad to help you.

I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction.

It looks like you were interacting with @Dvortex, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

You may follow the link for wireless setup: Wireless Printer Setup (Mac)

Let me know if this works.

You have a good day ahead.

Rainbow23 - HP Support.
HP Recommended

@CarolineJ18 wrote:

I think the issue is that I cannot find a way to enter my username or password for the wifi. I guess technically the wifi is "open" but then once you go to the internet youre promted to log in. In the past I've been able to manually put in a username and password but I can not find a way to do that now. Thanks.

You will never be able to connect your printer to your schools WiFi as it uses Enterprise Authentication.   Home printers to do not support this.

You must use a USB cable to connect for security.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.