Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY7645
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had this ENVY 7645 printer for about a year on a wireless home network. I also have a HP Photosmart 7525 printer connected to the same wireless network. The router shows both printers are connected to the wireless network.

Today I started having problems on one of my Dell computers informing me the 7645 printer is "offline".

This week two home Dell computers had a Windows 10 update installed. Prior to the update both computers had a functioning wireless connection to each printer (7525 and 7645). After the Win 10 update one computer has a wireless connection to both printers, and the other computer only has a connection to the 7525.

I've powered down the printers, computers, router and then powered backup on and still show offline on the one computer. I've gone through the wireless wizard setup on the 7645 and I ran the HP Scan Print and Scan Doctor and this did not identify any problem or fix anything on the 7645. I uninstalled the 7645 software and then re-installed and I can only establish a USB connection to the 7645. It won't allow me to do a wireless connection.

Like I said one computer can see both wireless printers (7525 and 7645) and the other computer can only see one wireless computer (7525).

Any suggestions on what needs to be done to reconfigure the one computer to resolve the wireless connection to the 7645 ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I ran the "HP Print and Scan Doctor" application again today and the wireless connection issue has now been resolved.  There was a HP printer software update automatically installed this week and maybe that fixed the problem.  Of course Microsoft has had monthly updates as well and maybe that fixed the problem earlier and I wasn't aware.  The problem first occurred after a Microsoft the beginning of the year.  Anyways I'm a happy user again.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hello JimBoy2,

Going by your description,  i think we should configure the envy 7645 wirelessly.  

So, go to the Setup Menu, and then to network setup.  Under that , choose Wireless setup wizard.. Now, this will automatically setup the printer wirelessly, and give us the ip address.. 

Now, go to the computer. Right click on the start button and choose command prompt(admn).  In the black screen that you see.. with the blinking cursor, type  "ipconfig " and then make a note of the IP address of the computer. 

After this, on the same window type ping and put in the ip address of the printer.. hit enter..

if the computer is pinging.. then , it means computer is now communicating with the printer.. At this stage you can start installing the printer all over again . 

REgards,

Ashok ... HP..always working
HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick response.  I entered the printer's wireless ip address on ipconfig and did get a reply.  Then when I try the printer driver install again for a wireless connection it is still unsuccessful (see below). ENVY 7645.PNG

HP Recommended

Hello Jimboy,

Sorry to know , that you are getting a red x while installing the printer.  

If you check in the device manager,  look for multifunction adapter . right click on that and choose enable.. Now, retry the red x screen and see if it is getting installed.. 

If not, then we will have to add ports in the windows firewall exception.   Add  UDP ports : 161, 427 and 139  and TCP ports: 9220, 9500 and 9290 in firewall exceptions..

Please let me know, how far you were successful with these steps . 

Regards,

HP Recommended

I opened up the Device Manager and "multifunction adapter" is not listed (see below).  I opened each folder also just to make sure it wasn't buried in there.

I also got into the Windows Firewall but couldn't find where to edit the port connections.  I'm not sure  I feel too comfortable changing settings there not knowing how that may impact the firewall and any other potential security issues.  One other thing I tried a few days ago that I didn't mention earlier was to actually disable the firewall during the HP ENVY 7645 download/re-install. It only allowed the hardwire (USB) install but couldned dedect the wireless connection.

Device Manager.PNG

HP Recommended

Hello Jimboy2,

Thank you very much for the reply. 

Open firewall ports in Windows 10
You can manually permit a program to access the internet by opening a firewall port. You will need to know what port it uses and the protocol to make this work.

1. Navigate to Control Panel, System and Security and Windows Firewall.
2. Select Advanced settings and highlight Inbound Rules in the left pane.
3. Right click Inbound Rules and select New Rule.
4. Add the port you need to open and click Next.
5. Add the protocol (TCP or UDP) and the port number into the next window and click Next.
6. Select Allow the connection in the next window and hit Next.
7. Select the network type as you see fit and click Next.
8. Name the rule something meaningful and click Finish.

Please try this and let me know.

Regards,

HP Recommended

I really do appreciate your time in trying to get my printer's wireless connection back on line.  However, after your last suggestion on adding Firewall exception ports using the numbers in an earlier comment,  I still can't get the wireless connection back online with  this one computer.  As an alternative, I've reached out to the Microsoft Forums to see if there is a solution there.  I still wecome more suggestions from you and others.  Thank you.

TCP exceptions.PNG

UDP exceptions.PNG

HP Recommended

I ran the "HP Print and Scan Doctor" application again today and the wireless connection issue has now been resolved.  There was a HP printer software update automatically installed this week and maybe that fixed the problem.  Of course Microsoft has had monthly updates as well and maybe that fixed the problem earlier and I wasn't aware.  The problem first occurred after a Microsoft the beginning of the year.  Anyways I'm a happy user again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.