Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 110
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

If I connect the printer to my wireless network I can then add the printer in my mac 'Printers & Scanners' and everything work fine. After I print my document the printer then goes offline and I can't get it back again unless I turn off the wireless on the printer then back on and then re-add the printer on my mac.

My router is a Virgin Superhub 3 and the printer drivers are apparently up-to-date according to the update software on the printer. 

I'm not sure how to fix this issue?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @Davis-s-Morris,

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

Flower_Bud is at your service.

As I understand, your printer goes offline.

No worries, as I'll be glad to help you, that said, I'll need a few more details to dissect your concern & provide an accurate solution:

When was the last time it worked fine?

Were there any hardware/software changes made?

Let's perform following troubleshooting steps: 

• Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.

• Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.

• Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.

• Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.

• Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.

• Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list

• Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners.

• Click the “Add button” (+).

• Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer. Do not select an HP Fax driver.

• Click “Print Using...” or “Use”, and then select Secure AirPrint or AirPrint. Alternatively, you may select the name of your printer if available in that list.

If the issue persists, please assigning a static IP address and a manual DNS address:

* Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.

* Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.

* Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)

* Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.

* Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 8.8.8.8 and under manual alternate type 8.8.4.4 (This is Google DNS server address)

Let me know how that pans out

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And feel free to ask any other queries as well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

HP Recommended

Hi Flower_Bud,

I seem to have the exact same issue but when I remove, restart and re-add the printer as airprint its fine but after a very short time the printer shows as offline with a red dot (instead of green).

This happens to all 3 different MacBooks we have in the house.

I looked at the energy saver settings on the printer and changed it from 5mins to 15mins but there is no option for none.

The only way to get the printer back online seems to be to turn off the wireless connection on the printer and then bback on.

Any advise to fix this?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.