06-21-2019 07:54 PM
My granddaughter purchased an HP Envy 4512 printer (wireless) 18 months ago. She has been printing but has never installed the printer driver so I am unsure how that works. When she wants to scan a document she is not given the option to save as a jpeg or pdf but can save as a png etc. I told her to install the driver and she would have more options. She found the driver on the HP website but selected the option to install the basic driver instead of the driver that appeared when she selected her printer model.
After installing this basic driver she still has no printer icon on her desktop which she can open to show the print, scan and ink level. She lives in another city so I am trying to assist her over the phone until such tie as I can visit her and try to get her up and running. Since she just installed the "basic driver" is this the reason she can't open the printer window so she can scan, print etc. I told her to go back and install the driver that appeared in the download, that is the "full feature download and drivers" Did I give her the correct information?
Solved! Go to Solution.
06-24-2019 06:59 AM
@Sistafatti, Welcome to the HP Support Community!
- You are absolutely right on installing HP Full-featured drivers that will allow to Print and Scan with other options/features as well.
- If the Full-featured drivers are not installed, you will still be able to print using the generic driver present in the computer by Microsoft.
Performing a clean re-installation of HP Drivers may resolve this issue. Let us try these steps:
Step 1: Clean uninstallation of Pre-installed HP drivers
- In Windows, search for and open Programs and features
- Select your HP Printer
- Select Uninstall
- In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers
- In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’
- Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo.
- Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)
- Click on the “Drivers” tab
- Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom
- Select Ok
- Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows
- Close Devices and Printers, restart the computer.
Step 2: Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.
Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.
Try to Print and Scan.
Let me know how this goes.
If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!
I am an HP Employee