Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Thinkpad
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

II have been using the Series 4520 printer for a number of years.  It is great.  One one PC (windows 10) everything is OK.  On the other, (Lenovo Thinkpad with Windows 10), recently (12MAY2019) it has lost the black and white/colour radials on the 'Paper/Quality' option within the Printing Preferences dialog boxs, and had a default setting of Monochrome within print options on Photos/PDF/Excel/Publisheer etc.  

Has there been a software update?  How can I fix this.  I am confused as it works on one PC and not the other.

Hope you have a fix for this.

Thanks

Andrew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@AndrewD1955

Have you tried installing the printer using Windows built-in Print drivers?

If not, uninstall the existing drivers using the same steps as mentioned in my previous post. Now, follow the steps on this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver. Once the installation is complete, try printing.

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@AndrewD1955, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I recommend you delete the driver and root level and retry, follow the steps below: 

1)In Windows, search for and open Programs and features 

2) Select your HP Printer 

3) Select Uninstall 

4) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers 

5) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose ‘Delete’ or ‘Remove Device’ 

6) Open up the run command with the “Windows key + R” key combo. 

7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”) 

😎 Click on the “Drivers” tab 

9) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom 

10) Select Ok 

11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows 

12) Close Devices and Printers.

Once the uninstallation is complete, you can download and install the latest software from here

You can also try installing the Windows built-in driver. Uninstall the printer driver from Root level once again and then install the Windows built-in driver.

Refer to this link for help.

Keep me posted

Cheers 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried the undernoted, and managed to install the latest HP software for the printer with your link.  

Unfortunately, the printer till only prints in black and white, and the option to chose the colour option does not appear on Paper/Quality tab on the set preferences dialogue box.

Can you suggest anything else?

Thanks

HP Recommended

@AndrewD1955

Have you tried installing the printer using Windows built-in Print drivers?

If not, uninstall the existing drivers using the same steps as mentioned in my previous post. Now, follow the steps on this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver. Once the installation is complete, try printing.

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers 🙂

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks.  That  worked a treat.  Now printing in colour.

Thanks for all your help.

Andrew

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.