Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
5440 envy

Issues:

1. My printer goes offline immediately after a print or scan job.

2. Not sure if it is related but i need to do extensive printer head cleaning every time I want to use the printer (which is not a lot, maybe one a month).

Printer prints, copies and scans but has to be switched off and on to do more than one job. And there is the printhead cleaning which wastes time and ink.

Solutions tried:

1. Initially I reviewed the wireless settings, reinstalled, and now started using a USB cable. Did not make a difference. 

2. Apple driver: downloaded the latest version from HP site - 2.9.0.180 for macOS 10.14. installed. 

3. Did the uplug trick (30 sec holding the power button).

4. Reset printer to factory default settings.

5. Failed to update printer driver (HP firmware updater):

1831A 24.1 MB 29. Aug. 2018

This sill not install and gives me an error message that "Something seems to be wrong with your device. Device is in error state (sic) and cannot be reglashed because of this. Resolve the problem and try again."

6. Printer setup menu on the printer indicates that the latest printer software loaded.

Any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @rustynale

A warm welcome to HP Community!

Does the printer print multiple pages if you Copy a document or will it stop after printing a single page?

Could you also check and let me know the current firmware version of the printer. The printer status report should contain the current firmware version. Instructions on how to print a status report can be found here

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Senan6806

Firmware: NBP1CN1831AR

The printer can copy multiple pages. However, once a copy job is done it goes "off-line" meaning the printer unitility cannot locate the printer (it makes no difference whether wirelessly connected or via USB). Shutting the printer down and restarting it (using the power button on the printer) makes the printer visible. 

HP Recommended

@rustynale

Thanks! Let's  power reset the printer and then try to flash the printer firmware. Here is how to do it:

Power resetting the printer, cleaning the cartridge electrical contacts and updating the printer firmware may resolve the issue. Please try these steps:

1) Make sure this printer is plugged into a direct wall, not a surge protector

2) Remove all of your ink cartridges from the printer and close the door

3) Remove the power cord from the back of the printer (Do no press the power button)

4) Plug the power cord back into the printer

5) Wait for the printer to turn on completely, then install the ink cartridges.

6.) Download and install the latest printer firmware update from here

Let me know how it goes!

Senan6806

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.