Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5540
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

My HP Envy 5540 won't print in color. If I go to the IP address of the printer in my web browser and print a Print Quality Diagnostic page, all of the colors print perfectly, but if I try to print from a program it will not print in color. So, the printer is physically working but the software is not.

I have read several articles that say to uncheck the "Print in Grayscale" option. The only program that I see this option in is Adobe Acrobat Reader. Making sure that it is unchecked does not fix the problem.

I have downloaded and installed the HP ENVY 5540 series Full Feature Software and Drivers. That didn't solve the problem either.

UPDATE: I ran the HP Print and Scan Doctor. It said that it detected problems and installed updates. When i try to print a test page from Print and Scan Doctor it does not print in color. If I go to my printer's IP address and print a Print Quality Diagnostic it prints in color. That seems to be the only thing that will print in color.

UPDATE: I have uninstalled and reinstalled Full Feature Software and Drivers. That didn't solve the problem either.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I think the only possible answer is that the software for this printer is not compatible with Windows 10.

I even tried reinstalling with USB cable instead of wireless. It made one color print and then documents would get stuck in the print queue and nothing would print at all.

If I start up my old WIndows 7 computer the printer works fine. I can also see the Color and Print In Grayscale options that are not there in Windows 10.

These screen captures are from WIndows 10:

Color option missing under Quality SettingsColor option missing under Quality Settings

Print in Grayscale option missingPrint in Grayscale option missing

These screen captures are from Windows 7. You can see that the Color options are different:

HP04.jpgHP03.jpg

So, I think it's safe to say that the current software is not compatible with Windows 10.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I think the only possible answer is that the software for this printer is not compatible with Windows 10.

I even tried reinstalling with USB cable instead of wireless. It made one color print and then documents would get stuck in the print queue and nothing would print at all.

If I start up my old WIndows 7 computer the printer works fine. I can also see the Color and Print In Grayscale options that are not there in Windows 10.

These screen captures are from WIndows 10:

Color option missing under Quality SettingsColor option missing under Quality Settings

Print in Grayscale option missingPrint in Grayscale option missing

These screen captures are from Windows 7. You can see that the Color options are different:

HP04.jpgHP03.jpg

So, I think it's safe to say that the current software is not compatible with Windows 10.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.