Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Desktop PC 570-p0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi. I recently tried to install firmware update which failed. Tried reinstalling firmware from down load from HP website. Printer is now stuck part way through process. On the screen there is an HP symbol with a blue line below it, and below that 7 circles with the first four filled in blue, to show progress just past half way. I cannot switch the printer off except by pulling the power cable. Printer always returns to the same screen described above.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@CharlesE1

Thanks for confirming. Try re-installing the printer driver -

1) In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program". 
2) Look for HP Printer software. 
3) Right-click to uninstall. 
4) In the search box, type and open “Devices and printers”. 
5) In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”. 
6) Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.  
7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”). 
8) Click on the "Drivers" tab. 
9) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom. 
10) Select Ok. 
11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows. 
12) Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed. 
13) Restart the computer. 
14) Download and install the software and drivers from here.
15)Click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @CharlesE1

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Try these steps -

1) Turn on the printer, if it is not already on. 
2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent.
3) With the printer turned on, unplug the power cord from the printer & wall. 
3) Wait for 60 seconds.  
4) Plug the power cord back into the printer and wall, ensure the printer is plugged into the wall & not to a surge protector. 
5) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

Also, try updating the printer's firmware by connecting the computer to the printer using a USB. Refer to this document for steps - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

If the issue still persists, I have sent you a private message with the steps to perform a semi-full reset on the printer. Check next to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Let me know how that goes. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Asmita,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I have completed the steps for the semi-full reset, and the printer screen is asking me to set up with the App at 123.hp.com.

I have downloaded and run the firmware update, but the "Welcome to the HP Printer Update" screen is listing my printer with a status of "Up-to-date", so I cannot select for update.

Can you advise on next step.

Thanks,

Charles.

HP Recommended

@CharlesE1

Please try a hard reset and check if you can use the other features like print, scan, etc.. -

1) Turn on the printer, if it is not already on. 
2) Wait until the printer is idle and silent.
3) With the printer turned on, unplug the power cord from the printer & wall. 
3) Wait for 60 seconds.  
4) Plug the power cord back into the printer and wall, ensure the printer is plugged into the wall & not to a surge protector. 
5) Turn on the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have completed the hard reset.

Scan does not work: from PC I get message "The HP ENVY Photo 7100 was not found".

Print does not work either. I'm just getting progress indicator (rotating blue squares) but nothing comes out of the printer.

HP Recommended

@CharlesE1

Are you able to make a copy? 

Try printing a print quality report - 

1) On the control panel, swipe down to open the Dashboard, and then touch the Setup icon.
2) Swipe up on the display, touch Reports, and then touch Print Quality Report.

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, Print Quality Diagnostic report comes out fine.

HP Recommended

Copy works fine, too.

HP Recommended

@CharlesE1

Thanks for confirming. Try re-installing the printer driver -

1) In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program". 
2) Look for HP Printer software. 
3) Right-click to uninstall. 
4) In the search box, type and open “Devices and printers”. 
5) In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”. 
6) Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.  
7) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”). 
8) Click on the "Drivers" tab. 
9) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom. 
10) Select Ok. 
11) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows. 
12) Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed. 
13) Restart the computer. 
14) Download and install the software and drivers from here.
15)Click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions.

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Asmita, that worked. All seems OK now. Thanks for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.