Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
LaserJet Pro 1102
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Every time I turn on my printer or plug the USB cable in, the windows automatically detect my printer as a CD-ROM (in device manager shown as "hp smart install usb device"). I have tried many troubleshooting solution, but unfortunatly always the same issue. Tried with 3 different lenght of USB cable, turn on and off, connect - disconnect, different drivers (original, updated), and fixing softwares (HP Print and Scan Doctor). I spend hours, but I'm stucked. If anyone has any help I would really appreaciate that.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Csapi I suggest performing a clean installation on the device to resolve all driver related issues:

• Press "Windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services - Go to "Print spooler" - Right-click and "Stop" the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type "spool" and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, unplug the USB cable from the printer (if present). 
  • Go to Control panel - Programs and feature - Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel - Devices and printer - Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type - "c:/programdata" - Go to the Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.

Then, use this link to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: Click here

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Csapi I suggest performing a clean installation on the device to resolve all driver related issues:

• Press "Windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services - Go to "Print spooler" - Right-click and "Stop" the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type "spool" and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, unplug the USB cable from the printer (if present). 
  • Go to Control panel - Programs and feature - Select all the HP printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel - Devices and printer - Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type - "c:/programdata" - Go to the Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.

Then, use this link to access the HP website, find the drivers compatible with your windows and install it: Click here

Let me know how that pans out,

If you feel I was helpful, simply click on Accept as Solution to help the community grow,

That said, I will have someone follow-up on this to ensure you've been helped,

Just in case you don't get back to us within 24 - 48hrs, and have a good day, ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the answer! This was really the solution, unfortunatly the win10 gets crazy about this type of printer because of that memory chip what contains the basic driver, so I had to remove all HP softwares and install it again from the latest update. I spend quite a lot of time with it, but finally it has been working perfectly good as before. I don't know how many years I'm using it, but still satisfied with it!

HP Recommended

@Csapi Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad I could contribute to identifying and leading you towards the solution.

Thanks for honoring us by accepting our post as the solution, as it helps the community grow.

Take care and have an awesome week ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HP Laserjet Pro 1102w

will not autoload when plugged into Dell PC, so I downloaded the driver from the HP site.

Driver seems to download, but will not open up, so I double click the icon on the desktop and the files extract, then nothing.

I do not see the printer in the hardware screen.

I have tried 3 printer/usb cords. I tried the recommendations to previous user with similar problem (removing all traces of driver). I have even tried loading a new print cartridge.

Nothing works and I cannot get my pc to see the printer.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  I bought a new (HP) Win10 computer and wanted to continue using my P1102w printer.  After hours of trying the solutions on HP Support Assistant, and Print and Scan Doctor, I was frustrated.  The computer would see my HP 6310, so I changed USB cable.  All I had to do was to download the software, (hp_LJP1100_P1560_P1600_Full_Solution-v20120831-50157036_SMO)  the third time.  I ran the software, it extracted then nothing.  I am ready to dropkick the new computer out the window.

HP Recommended

My problem is now fixed.  I called the help desk.  It turns out that the p1102w printer is old, so the HP printer drivers don't recognize it.  The help desk was able to disable the HP software, and hook up generic drivers so the p1102w is printing like a champ.  

HP Recommended

Hi all - as with a lot of others I can not connect my HP LaserJet p1102w printer to a new laptop with Windows 10. It keeps thinking it is a CD drive! I have tried lots of the fixes suggested but nothing works. But I did notice one person had been contacted by HP and was given new drivers and that worked. Who can help me??

HP Recommended

What is contact no. for help?

HP Recommended

@Hulladrian

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Manually launch the installation using the below executable path and then follow the installation screen:

C:\LJP1100_P1560_P1600_Full_Solution\HpSetup.exe

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.