Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My problem seems to be my computer does NOT see the printer. The HP 4000N is hooked up with a converter to a USB port. I also do not have the original installation disk - is it hopeless? 

HP Recommended

I have THE solution to the HP 4000 printer and Windows 10 printing problem.  The problem appears to be a port problem, not a driver problem.  I racked my brains for 4 days, spending hours each day trying to solve it to no avail.  If you want to end your suffering, click on the link below to buy this cable from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Parallel-Centronics-U206-006-R/dp/B00005138I/ref=sr_1_1?s=electroni...

Now for the story.  I was using a genuine HP C3801-80073 parallel cable from printer to PC running Windows 10.  I saw that every time I installed the driver, the computer claimed it was a success.  Then, when it came time to print a test page, either nothing happened or it displayed error.  I was trying to use the HP 4000 Series PCL5 or HP 4000 Series PCL 6 driver that worked just fine with Windows 7 x 64, but refused to work with Windows 10 x 64 upgrade, even though the claim was that both were supported drivers for Win 10.

I suspected a communication problem more than a driver problem.  I kept trying to use LPT1 as the printer port, as it had worked fine for me in the past.  Then I wondered if a parallel to USB cable existed.  One that could make the computer recognize the printer in a more modern way.  The cable is Tripp-Lite Model U206-006-R.  This is a USB to IEEE 1284 Parallel Printer Adapter that is 6 feet long.  A 10 foot version is available for users who need to reach a longer distance. Search it out on Amazon if you need that.

My computer parallel port mode is set to SPP (Standard Parallel Port) in the BIOS.  The new adapter cord arrives.  After looking at the instructions and mini-CD disc that came with the cable, I decide not to follow their instructions as this disc supports Windows 98 and 2000 driver support.  PLEASE: DO NOT follow the instructions at all when you get the cablenor use the disc.

Procedure: Double click your HP 4000 series in Devices and Printers and click on "See What's Printing".  If there are any failed documents, cancel them to remove them from the cache. Now delete the failed printer install from Devices and Printers in Win 10 by right clicking and selecting "Remove Device".  Then go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Printer Management.  Under Print Servers, you will see drivers and printers.  Delete any instances of HP 4000 drivers and printers by right clicking and deleting.  Remove driver packages also.  If you get a message telling you something can't be deleted, reboot the computer to clear this from memory,  go back and try again.  They should delete.

Make sure the HP 4000 is turned on. Take your new cable,  plug the parallel end into the printer.  After I did this, the data light illuminated and the display kept alternating from Ready to Data Received.  Now, plug the other end into a back USB port on the PC.  You will NOT get any notification of hardware detected on the Win 10 home screen.  Open Control Panel, Devices & Printers.  You may see an icon for the CABLE that was just installed but not your printer.  Be patient andWait.  Eventually, the printer will show up.  Print a test page.  It works. The port will be automatically changed to USB001 Virtual printer Port for USB.  It will be checked automatically under Ports in Printer Properties. You will not be using LPT1.  This is the only difference between my failure and success.  The HP universal print drivers that Win 10 installs are fine.  The port was wrong and you need to buy the new parallel/USB cable.  This is exactly how it worked for me.  Easiest fix ever and I got my sanity back.  This may very well work with other printers besides the 4000 that are older and have parallel connections.

Check your HP 4000 printer to make sure the parallel connector is the same as mine.  I do not have pins to connect but rather metal contacts.  The cable I listed on Amazon above is the ONLY ONE that would fit my printer.  Confirm this on yours.  Good luck and I'll check posts periodically to see how this is working for users and to answer any questions if you have problems.

HP Recommended

This printer with LPT1 (2) port irq7 no longer supported or discontinued ,instead  resolved using USB-to serial (RS232C)

adapter (PROLIFIC is OK) ,that works fine on XP/vbox  inside Win10 ,selecting USB devices of course,but having  original old CD installer ,then Share any Folders ...and forget all troubles ! Easy or not ?

HP Recommended

I have already done that - but for some reason the computer does not "see" the printer. 

HP Recommended
Hey, did you use the cable I recommended or a different one? And did you follow the instructions exactly? I assume you checked to verify the virtual port is selected and not LPT 1. Just sort of surprised that it is still not being seen as it was so easy for me to get mine working. Give me as much detail about what you did. It's tougher trying to solve any problem through writing back and forth, but that's all we have to go with.
HP Recommended

I am using a USB parallel cable adapter, but not the one you suggested. I'll run through your steps again, if it doesn't work perhaps I need to buy the specific cable you recommend. I'll keep you undated and thanks for your help.

HP Recommended
I'm really glad you told me you had a different cable setup because that is the main difference between what each of us did. Adapters can be funky. I used a monitor adapter once that should have worked and didn't do jack for me. I'm hopeful that would be the solution. I would hate to see you drop money on the cable and still have it not work, but fortunately, it's pretty cheap to possibly get that printer going again. Of all my steps, just want to make sure you're going into Adminisrative Tools --> Print Management to clean driver installs etc. if you do get the cable, let me know how it goes. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
HP Recommended

3/11/2016 -- I have an HP Laserjet 4000tn.  I just installed Windows 10.  I have 64 bit laptop.  My printer is connected to LPT1.  But printer wasn't recognized by Windows when I tried to print.  It was as if I didn't have a printer connected...

So I proceeded through wizard setup, selecting HP Laserjet 4000 Series PCL 6.  Tried Test Page print.  But I kept getting "printer is in error state" message.  Also tried installing HP 4050 PCL 6.  Same error message for test page attempt.

Researched on internet.  I didn't feel safe using any of the download sites.  Finally was about to revert back to Windows 7 and give up on 10.  But as a last resort, I ran Windows 10 Update.  Checked printer devices one last time and noticed "HP Laserjet 4000 PCL 5" was now installed along with my earlier attempts to install PCL6.

SUCCESS!  I tried PCL 5 and the test page printed fine!!  Earlier PCL 6 installs still failed.  So I removed them and set PCL 5 as default.

Note: I never downloaded or manually installed PCL 5.  I found it installed after running Windows Update.

I didn't need a new cable and won't revert back to earlier version of Windows now.  And best of all, there's no need to buy a new printer!

Suggestion: Try installing "HP Laserjet 4000 Series PCL 5" from Add Printers settings.  Good luck!

HP Recommended

Glad it work for you - it wouldn't work I'm mine; I'm still waiting for the new cable and then try that!

HP Recommended

I did get the USB to Parallel Printer adapter you suggested, and although my computer never detected it I was able to simply follow the manual install procedure for the HP LaserJet 4000N (PL6) and now it works perfectly - thanks a lot! I have spent a frustrating year getting this to work and really appreciate your taking the time to post. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.