Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP LASERJET M1136 MFP
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

HP Laserjet M1136 MFP is not recognized by Mac OS High Sierra.

When I plug in the printer USB drive it gives the following message 

"The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer"

Note: There is no fault with the printer or usb cable as the same works perfectly fine on a Windows laptop. 

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Adding to my previous comment. I am searching for a driver for Mac OS High Sierra but not able to find one. 

HP Recommended

@ChezD,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the printer is not getting detected on your Mac computer and you are looking for the printer driver.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

• When was the last time the printer was working fine?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?

Meanwhile, I recommend you install the driver using the apple software update. Follow the steps in the below article to install the driver.

https://hp.care/2sYLagB

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Please find my responses to your queries

• When was the last time the printer was working fine?

A. Never on the Mac. But it works fine from any Windows Machine. 

• Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?
    A. Since it never worked on the Mac, I think this question is irrelevent. 
  • Have you performed any troubleshooting steps before posting?
    A. Yes I attempted to download the HP driver and install it. HP Easy Start.app
    However during the installation it comes to the step where it says plug in the printer. 
    Even though I plug it in , the installation does not proceed as it is not able to detect the printer. 

Tried manually adding the printer via Mac's System preferences. 
         But the exact model is not listed in the available drivers. 

HP Recommended

@ChezD

Thank you for your reply. 

As @The_Fossette is out of the office today, I'm replying to you. 

The issue is the printer uses Windows software called HP Smart Install and it is trying to run in Mac OS. You're likely have software installed to run Windows on the Mac such as Parallels or VM Ware Fusion. Please check to see this software is  installed and you can try disabling the software. 

Alternatively use a Windows based computer to disable HP Smart Install or use the printer's EWS (Embedded Web Server page) to disable it.

Here is a previous posting where the issue was resolved: https://hp.care/2JB8UCQ

Hope this information helps. Keep me posted.

Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

@MKazi,

w.r.t. to your response 

You're likely have software installed to run Windows on the Mac such as Parallels or VM Ware Fusion.

>> What do you mean by this ?

I am not running Parallels or Windows using a VM.

I am trying to print directly from the Mac OS Hi Sierra and it is not working. 

Please check to see this software is  installed and you can try disabling the software. 

>> Check if the s/w is installed where ?

It is not possible to have Windows s/w installed on a Mac OS. 

Why can't HP provide a driver or installable for Hi Sierra ? 

HP Recommended

@ChezD

Thanks for your reply.

You may try to install an alternate set of drivers via this HP link.

If the above mentioned drivers does not work then please try to add the drivers manually form the Mac OS:

• From System Preferences, click on Print & Scan.
  • Click the Plus sign.
  • Select the listed HP Photosmart C4380 series (This printer's drivers should work).
  • Click the drop-down menu next to Use or Print Using and click on Select Printer Software.
  • Select the HP Photosmart C4380 series from the list.
  • Click OK to confirm your selection and add the printer, then try printing using the configured print queue.

Hope this helps. 

Good luck! 🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.