Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP MFP 281CDW

Hello,

My printer is 1.5 years old, only lightly used, but now won't boot to the home screen.  I have tried everything possible, including:

Turning off the printer, Turning off the Wireless Router, unplugged all cables and powering on with just power.

Holding down the power button for 1 min

Cleared the Print Queues on all computers and uninstalled the printer from the PC's.

I am a printer repair technician and I am capable to taking it apart to repair it.  I downloaded the support manual but I can't find any info about this error beside rebooting the printer

I always used this printer via wireless, not with an ethernet cable.

A new printer costs $400 at Costco.  Can anyone please provide some insight on what I might do to get it to boot to the home screen?  Or what parts I may need to change?

Thank You in Advance!

Robbi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@RobbiHawaii

Let us try resetting the printer to its factory settings which might help.

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@RobbiHawaii, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Have you tried making a standalone copy and check if the error persists?

Empty the print queue from the device you are trying to print and try the below steps:

Reset the printer

1. With the printer turned on, disconnect the power cord from the rear of the printer.
  2. Wait at least 60 seconds.
  3. Reconnect the power cord to the rear of the printer.
  4. Turn ON the printer, if it does not automatically turn on.
  5. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you proceed.

Note: HP recommends connecting the printer directly to a wall outlet rather than a surge protector or a power strip.

Update the printer firmware

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Check the status of IPv6 on the printer.

Go to Setup > Network setup > Network services > IPv6 > Turn it Off.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

The printer never comes to the home screen.  It constantly reboots.  It gets half way through the boot process and gets the Service Error 49, then reboots again.  

HP Recommended

@RobbiHawaii

Let us try resetting the printer to its factory settings which might help.

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Aloha Kumar,

Thank you so much!  I followed the instructions to reset to factory settings and it worked right away.  I can't thank you enough because I thought I tried everything and I was now thinking about buying a new printer.  You saved the day...  Many Thanks!!1

HP Recommended

@RobbiHawaii

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that!

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi there!

In the link below follow more information on how to fix the 49 error :

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05026822#AbT1

Regards,

SofiaML

I work on behalf of HP.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.