Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 4650
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all praying someone can help as this is my last port of call before I give up and buy a different branded printer.

Basically my printer suddenly stopped printing in colour around the begining of last week. Due to excellent timing it had only just fallen out of warrenty!

I have viewed the forums and I see this seems to be a reoccuring problem for many!.

I followed the steps given to other people with the same problem, which involved deleting the printer completely and then reinstalling it with the most up to date driver.

My printer will print a colour photocopy no problem and also print colour copies from my IPhone Hp App and print settings built into the phone.

The problem just occurs printing over wifi from my computer to my printer where I just get black and white.

After reinstalling the printer and driver 3 times last week it appeared to solve the problem as I could print once again in colour!. This is until I switch on and off my computer and then try to print again and we are back to square one all in black and white. I am not willing to reinstall the driver every time I want to print!

I am no computer tech and have limited knowedge to how things work but I would place a bet that it is the driver that is not somehow saving its current settings every time it gets switched off?

My computer downloads windows updates automatically and somehow yesterday I managed to bring up a page that listed that it had updated on 14/02/18 which I think was around when it all went wrong. I don't want to delete any updates as I dont know if this would help + I don't want things to go more wrong.

If anyone could help I would really appreciate it, but I would need step my step advice on how to action any recommendations.

Thanks.

P.s. I have tried seeking help on Facebook messaging and knowone ever replies??? So many unhappy customers on there, fingers crossed you guys are the best!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Trumpton5

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I came across your post and would like to help. 

I understand that your HP OfficeJet 4650 All-in-One Printer does not print in color from your computer. I have read your post comprehensively and appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

You have isolated the issue very well. The evidence points towards the software/drivers. 

I know that you have reinstall the drivers many times. But in case the drivers are not uninstalled from the root level then you may attempt the following steps:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.
  • You may download and install the drivers from this link

Please try to print and check. If the issue persists then let us install the basic drivers via this link

You may also install the inbuilt printer drivers from the Windows operating system. The steps mentioned in "Step 3: Install the print driver with the Add a Printer wizard" from this HP document should help. 

Hope this helps. Let me know the outcome.

Cheers! 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Trumpton5

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I came across your post and would like to help. 

I understand that your HP OfficeJet 4650 All-in-One Printer does not print in color from your computer. I have read your post comprehensively and appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

You have isolated the issue very well. The evidence points towards the software/drivers. 

I know that you have reinstall the drivers many times. But in case the drivers are not uninstalled from the root level then you may attempt the following steps:

• In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.
  • Select your HP printer.
  • Select Uninstall.
  • In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.
  • In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”
  • Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.
  • Type printui.exe /s and click OK.
  • Click on Drivers tab.
  • Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click Remove at the bottom.
  • Select OK.
  • Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.
  • Close Devices and Printers.
  • You may download and install the drivers from this link

Please try to print and check. If the issue persists then let us install the basic drivers via this link

You may also install the inbuilt printer drivers from the Windows operating system. The steps mentioned in "Step 3: Install the print driver with the Add a Printer wizard" from this HP document should help. 

Hope this helps. Let me know the outcome.

Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thank you very much MKazi, I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

I followed your excellent instructions step by step, and so far fingers crossed I think it has solved the problem.

Thanks again! 🙂

HP Recommended

@Trumpton5,

It is great to have you back. I am glad to know that the steps helped. As @MKazi is out for the day, I am responding on his behalf.

If you have any further queries regarding your HP product please reach out and we are always there to assist you.

Take care and have a blessed day. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.