Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Printer firmware crashes and enters a fault state after being connected by either wired or wireless connections to the company LAN.

Received a replacement printer that exhibits the same behavior straight out of the box. My money is on this being a firmware bug. Trying to explain this to the telephone tech support agents is an absolute lost cause. All they seem capable of doing is having you reset the printer a million times and then creating a ticket to have the entire printer replaced, which does not solve the problem.

Please let me know where this can be escalated for proper troubleshooting and identification of the bug so a fix can be pushed in the next firmware update.

fault.JPG

*** UPDATE *** Dec 12 2019 3:41PM PST ***

I did some further troubleshooting by running a Wireshark capture to see what kind of network activity is taking place before the printer faults. I noticed traffic between my workstation and the printer took place shortly before the fault occurs.

To troubleshoot, I powered my workstation off, then restarted the printer. The printer now boots and stays running even while connected to the network. I setup another Wireshark trace on another computer, then booted my computer up. The instant that wireshark recorded a single ARP packet broadcast from the printer to my workstation, the printer entered the fault state.

Below is a screencap of the wireshark trace with the offending packet. All I did was boot up my Windows 10 workstation, I did not log in.

Wire-shark-capture.PNG

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@SethHB

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I was able to update to the latest firmware using the embedded web server  product update page. 

Current firmware Version is EDWINXPP1N002.1942A.00 Built Date 2019-10-15  

The same fault issue persists after the firmware update.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.