Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 8610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I know - not another 8610 cartridge problem question - LOL

Well, printer was working fine yesterday, and today I had to change the black - and once I installed it (a genuine HP cartridge - in fact all cartridges are and have been genuine HP) - it now shows ALL cartridges are damaged or not installed.

I have read through many of the previous posts and resolutions and have performed most of them:

1) downloaded and installed firmware update(s) OJ8610.exe & OJP8610_R1733A

2) removed power form back of printer and wall - then reinstalled after 60 seconds

3) reseated print head 3 times

4) installed all 4 new HP cartridges

5) cleaned all contact heads

And I still get the Cartridge Problem on all four cartridges - what else can I do?  Printer is less than 2 years old.

Thanks!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@Sixty_Vette

Thank you for posting on HP Forums, MKazi is at your service. 

I understand that you have an HP Officejet Pro 8610 e-All-in-One Printer and it gives a cartridge problem error for the cartridges that are installed in the printer. I read that these are original HP ink cartridges.

Fabulous analysis. Spectacular diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job.

You may check if the printer allows you to perform an automated cleaning on the printhead by following the below steps:

1. Load unused, plain white paper into the input tray.

2. On the printer control panel, touch the Right Arrow () to display additional options.

3. Touch Setup (), touch Tools, and then touch Clean Printhead.

4. Wait until the printhead cleaning sequence completes and the report prints.

If the issue persists even after running the cleaning process on the print head or if the printer does not let you clean the printhead then the evidence points towards a defective printhead. In such a case you may contact our HP phone support to explore the available service options for your printer. 

I sincerely hope things work out well for your printer. Keep me posted. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Thanks for the kudos and respoonse.

I cannot do anything with this printer - wont allow me to clean printheads as it tells me to install/replace ink -  "CARTRIDGE PROBLEM"

I ended up finding the secred Setup Menu via back buttton 4 times and did factory reset - NOW it wants original SETUP CARTRIDGES to complete the setup - UGH!

On chat at moment with sales to see about purchasing a set - ~ $150 total - what a racket!

Unless you know a way to get me past the setup w/o setup cartridges?

HP Recommended

Hi @Sixty_Vette,

I have reviewed the post. 

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number.

Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care and have a blessed week ahead. 🙂

Cheers!

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you David, I will watch for a private message.

HP Recommended

Any clue when they may reply - being without a printer is troublesome in my position.  Also, being a Government agency, I cannot easily ask for $$ for another printer or setup cartridges - really in a bind!

Thank you!!

HP Recommended

HP cartridges have changed from a Universal cartridge for the 950 and 951 ink to onevthat is regional and now makes 950 and 951/z20, z30 etc. The problem is that the printer only recognizes the original one that was used . So I used the original ones from the US when I bought my printer Officejet Pro. Now the only ones available where I live are 951/z30 for Latin America. They are not compatible with my printer. My printer is virtually useless. This is one of the dumbest moves I have ever encountered. I don’t know what they are thinking.

HP Recommended

Sir, In last week my printer was showing error print heat missing. I made the following work:-

1) I cleaned my print head by using warm water and installed. After cleaning all the printers shown cartridges errors one by one but this problem solved after restarting of printer.

2) I took 10 black and white xerox prints and 03 Colour prints. It was showing problem with cartridges so i made full reset to printer and started using.

3) During colour prints, printer shown cartridge problem with CYAN colour, carriage jammed towards right side and all the other menu options including Home disappeared from control panel.

4) Carriage was not free to move also. I moved gears with the help of screw driver and made print head free to move.

5) I tried power reset, fixing of print head, cartridges several times but no improvement is seen.

6) I inserted setup cartridges also but problem is the same. After removing cartridges and print head also i am getting error message,"Cartridge problem- One or More cartridges appear to be damaged. Remove them and replace with new cartridges".

7) Now no option is available on control panel except error message, question mark and guide how to install cartridges. Carriage is not even shacking automatically. After reset my printer is also not connected to network. Cartridges are also having sufficient ink level. 

Sir, your printer was also having same type of problem. How the problem was rectified? I solved please advice me also.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.