HP OfficeJet Pro 8740 All-in-One Printer is in error state
Welcome to HP Forums,
This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips,
Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out :)
As I understand, your printer is in error state,
Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:
When was the last time it was working fine?
Were there any hardware/software changes made?
How is your printer connected (Wi-Fi or USB)?
Are you able to make a photocopy?
Do you get the error message on printer and PC?
Let's try these steps to resolve the issue:
Step 1: Power drain
1) Turn off the Router, Printer and the computer.
2) Wait for 60 seconds.
3) Turn on the Router first and wait for all the lights to stabilize.
4) Turn on the printer and allow it to configure itself.
5) Turn on the computer and check the functionality
Step 2: Only for Windows PC
Download and Run HP Print and Scan Doctor: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/printers/hppsdr/patches/HPPSdr.exe
Step 3: Try assigning a static IP address and a manual DNS address:
* Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to obtain the IP address.
* Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
* Go to the “Network” tab – Click on “Wireless (802.11) – Then click on “Network address (IPv4)
* Click on the radio button which says “Manual IP” and then click “Suggest a manual IP address” to give a manual IP address to your printer.
* Click on radio button which says “Manual DNS Server” and under manual preferred type 126.96.36.199 and under manual alternate type 188.8.131.52 (This is Google DNS server address)
Keep me posted,
For I shall follow-up on this case to ensure the concern has been addressed,
And your device is up and running again,
Have a great day :)