Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

We recently moved into a newly built house and Xfinity/Comcast came and installed all new equipment router etc.

He left the SSID and WPA settings.

I have an new iMac running the latest Catalina OS.

My printer stays on for a set time and then goes to sleep.

It will sometimes stay alive for a whole day but most times after a day

or so of being idle it shuts itself off completely.

The only remedy to get it started is to pull the power plug and plug it back in.

It's on the wireless network because I have other devices that need to use the printer through wireless.

I've tried: Both Airprint and HP drivers (no luck)

I just looked and it's using IPv6.

There is no setting on the printer itself to turn off sleep mode.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@tomdiola, Welcome to HP Support Community!

If the printer is connected wireless to your Mac, try the following troubleshooting steps-

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Restart your printer and the Computer.

Also, assign manual IP to the printer. The steps on how to set a manual IP address can be found here. For the DNS servers please use 8.8.8.8 for the Manual Preferred DNS Server and 8.8.4.4 for the Alternate DNS server. These are Google’s public DNS servers.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@tomdiola, Welcome to HP Support Community!

If the printer is connected wireless to your Mac, try the following troubleshooting steps-

• Obtain the IP address of the printer – You can touch the “wireless” icon on the printer control panel to get the IP address.
  • Type the IP address on your web browser to obtain the printer EWS page on your computer.
  • Go to "Network" tab - General - Select "Network protocols" - Select "Enable IPv4 only" (or similar) - Apply the settings.
  • Restart your printer and the Computer.

Also, assign manual IP to the printer. The steps on how to set a manual IP address can be found here. For the DNS servers please use 8.8.8.8 for the Manual Preferred DNS Server and 8.8.4.4 for the Alternate DNS server. These are Google’s public DNS servers.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi - The problem I had manifests itself after a couple days i.e. The printer would effectively turn itself

completely off and I'd have to pull the power plug from the back of the printer to get it to wake up.

Your SOLUTION solved that problem!

Thank You so much.

HP Recommended

@tomdiola

Glad to know that the issue is now resolved. Feel free to contact us with any concerns related to HP products.

Happy to help!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.