Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Since the latest windows update in July 2019 the HP Officejet 4650 driver appears to not be suitable. The printer does not recognise that the automatic duplex printing system is present and only allows manual duplex. It also no longer recognises that it can print colour.

I have tried both the HP full driver and the in built Windows driver and neither works. Is there any likelihood that HP will update their drivers or is my device now bricked. If this is the case then this user may not buy another HP device again, as a 2 year old printer failing is disgraceful.

All is fine on my works Windows 7 laptop so it is clearly a driver issue.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

@Tony119,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

Let's try to update the printer firmware. 

If your printer connected wirelessly, make sure to temporary connect the device with USB and then follow the link to install the latest firmware update on your printer from our HP support website. Alternatively you can also try to update the printer firmware directly from the printer control panel.

For more details on how to update, please use this link: HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Once done, restart the printer. 

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to uninstall the printer from the root level and then reinstall it by following the steps below: 

• Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Please click here to download and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope this helps!

Have a great day! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Jeet

Thank you for the reply. I have tried this. I have also tried to load the software onto a laptop running the same version of windows and I get the same issues. 

I have installed the software through USB and wirelessly to the same effect. When you install it through USB all works fine, and then as soon as you try and use the printer wirelessly it forgets about the colour and determines that it cannot work duplex. Meanwhile all the time thankfully my work laptop which has not yet been upgraded from windows 7 works fine.

Apologies but I do have an IT background so fault finding is part of my job. The driver is clearly the issue, and needs to be updated.

HP Recommended

Try using the built-in drivers: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c01796879

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. Yes I have also tried this. Both windows 10 devices have been tried with the HP driver and the in built driver with no success.

Windows 7 and MacOS both work fine with the device allowing colour printing and automatic duplexing.

Hence why I say it is something within Windows 10 that is stopping the device working

HP Recommended

@Tony119,

In this scenario, I would suggest here is to uninstall the printer and then create a new user account.

Once done, restart the computer and then login to the new user account.

You may refer to this support document for more help: Click here

After logging on to the new user account, please go ahead and reinstall the printer drivers. 

Let me know how it goes for further assistance!

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

T0---Tony911---I have the same exact problem.  I have tried all of the recommendations listed above and the print job goes to the print que and it states printing and it deletes the file and nothing prints on the OfficeJet 4650.  My wife who still has Window 7 on her computer can print to the OfficeJet 4650 but I can't because I upgraded to windows 10  x64.  I have been working on this for several days and if I have to buy another printer it will not be an HP printer.    I cleaned the spooler as suggested. Uninstalled and reinstalled the software, drivers, reset the printer to factory defaults, and updated printer firmware.  This is very disappointing that that a company like HP can not get us a driver that will work with Windows 10.  I bought a new laptop today and it was not an HP,  even though my last four were HP.

HP Recommended

@MannyDal, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Apologies fior the inconvenience caused. This seems like a printer driver compatibility issue with Win 10 OS. Let us try these steps to resolve this issue:

Run HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and fix any driver issue

Click here to download the file. Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and click on 'Fix printing'.

If the issue persists, proceed to the next step.

Install the printer using Windows built-in driver

Refer to this document to know how. Try printing.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Firstly I cannot claim credit for this as I found it on another post. It is disappointing that even when HP staff try and post they don't know how to fix these issues. It does however tell me that all HP want you to do is buy the latest printer, and they will stop supporting the old ones. Not very good for the environment HP.

Anyway the fix is to use another printer driver, and all works fine now.

Adding an alternate driver may resolve the issue. Here is how to do it:

1.) In Windows, search for and open Control panel, click Devices and Printers

2.) In the Devices and Printers folder right click on your HP Officejet 4650 and left click on Printer Properties.

3.) Left click on the Advanced tab

4.) Left click on New Driver

5.) When the New Driver window opens just hit 'next' until you see a list of Manufacturers on the left and a list of Printers on the right.

6.) Select HP as the Manufacturer on the left

7.) Select HP Envy 7640 as the printer on the right. If HP Envy 7640 doesn't appear than select 'Windows Update' on the bottom left and once the update completes you will be able to select HP Envy 4500.

8.) After selecting HP Envy 7640 hit next to complete the New Driver Wizard.

9.) Under the Printer Properties window select 'Apply' but don't hit OK

10.) Select the General tab

11.) Rename your printer back to HP Officejet 4650.

12.) Hit OK.

HP Recommended

This situation SUCKS!

I called HP TECH SUPPORT about this issue - they wanted to gouge me $20 to give me a solution!!!!

edited

I have 3 HP systems - I will NEVER buy another!!!

Fu-k

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.