Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet J4680
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have upgraded my OS from Win 7 to 10.

While on my Laptop the HP programs and printer detection worked (WiFI), on my PC it failed to recognise my printer which was installed.

by pugging its USB cable it did recognise it as a scanner and it is working thru the windows scanner program

Adding another printer thru the devices control panel find it as web connected but does not print.

Finally in the HP site I found a suitable download for WIN 10, but download constantely fails as begginning to, even after cancelling the fire walls.

Bottom line - I cannot use my printer on the PC with WIN 10

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Shlom,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I see that you are having trouble using your HP Officejet J4680 printer, on the Windows 10 Operating System. I am happy to help! 

To verify the printer's hardware is functional, are you able to print a test page? Video: Printing a Test Page.

In the meantime, please try the following steps: 

Hope these steps help, and have a nice day! :generic:

“Please click the Thumbs up icon below to thank me for responding.”

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi @Shlom,

I see that you are having trouble using your HP Officejet J4680 printer, on the Windows 10 Operating System. I am happy to help! 

To verify the printer's hardware is functional, are you able to print a test page? Video: Printing a Test Page.

RnRMusicMan
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

Thank you

It did succeed. I had some trouble because I was asked to open a new account which resulted with an additional user onthe computer and different setting.

However, It worked and I have cancelled the new user so everything is OK

HP Recommended

Does this fix work for the similar problem I am having with my HP OJ 4630 since downloading the Windows 10 update?

@RnRMusicMan wrote:

Hi @Shlom,

HP Recommended

When installing software for printerJ4680 on HP notebook there is no text in the User License Agreement under the Review Installation window. In Internet Connection Settings the buttons for selecting options are there, but no text. Destination folder has folder icon. but nothing else. Customize window shows the options, no other text. After making selections, some of which are guesses because there is text missing, "NEXT" button does not respond.Also the antivirus was disabled. I've tried installing off of CD and  downloading from internet with the same results. Tried uninstalling printer software under programs, but this printer is not there. I have connected this printer to this notebook before and have printed things from it and the printer works fine with the desktop. But  i really need to scan to Email and have full function with it now. PLease respond this has gotten aggravating. Thanks Darado

HP Recommended

I have an HP Office jet J4680 all-in-one printer.  I can connect it to my Windows 10 laptop via USB, but can not get it to connect via WiFi.  When I try to configure the network, it sees the printer and knows it's IP address, but it fails to make the final connection.  It keeps asking me to RETRY, or skip the step and connect later.  Retrying fails over and over.  Not sure what to try next ?

HP Recommended

@HenryWB

Welcome to HP support community.

Reset wireless settings on the printer

• Press Setup. Press an arrow button to move to Network, and then press OK.

• Press an arrow button to move to Reset Wireless, and then press OK.

Connect the printer to Wireless network using Wireless setup Wizard

• On the device control panel, press the Setup button.
  • Press an arrow button to move to Wireless Menu, and then press OK.
  • Press an arrow button to move to Setup Wizard, and then press OK.
  • Follow the display instructions to complete the setup.

Let me know if that helps,

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sandy,

Thanks for getting back to me.

My issue is not connecting the printer to the network.

It is connected and the blue antenna is lit, and I know the IP address on my local network.

My issue is that I have previously installed the printer via USB connection and I am now trying to add it  as a wireless connected printer.

is this the issue ? 

Do I have to remove the USB connected printer (software wise) to be able to connect it wirelessly ?

if I do, will it also work if I connect it via USB cable ?

Sorry, I've been trying to "Google" this, but I'm probably not wording my question correctly to get the answer.

When I go through the HP-Officejet ALL-IN_ONE J4600 Series app, it gets all the way to the final connection and fails.  IT asks me to RETRY or QUIT and connect later.  It DOES pinter out the network information page, but doesn't make that final connection.

Henry

HP Recommended

@HenryWB

Refer the steps mentioned in this HP document for the steps to change from USB to Wireless connection:- Click here

I hope that helps.

To thank me for my efforts to help you, please mark my post as an accepted solution so that it benefits several others.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sandy,

Thanks, but unfortunately I do not have the HP Printer Assistant software that it suggests I use.

I have HP Print and Scan Doctor and HP Support Assistant and neither have the page that tell you how to convert from USB to wireless connection.

I tried to download the HP Printer Assistant software, but apparently HP doesn't have one for Officejet J4680 printers ?

Henry

Do you have a link for that software for my Officejet J4680 printer ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.