Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet J4680 & dv5-1033ez
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello community

I have a severe problem with this combination of products.

Products:

1. https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-officejet-j4500-j4600-all-in-one-printer-series/3645081/mode...
  2. https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-dv5-1000-entertainment-notebook-pc-series/3744188/m...
  3. Upgraded with a SSD (Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB)
  4. Happens on Windows 7 x86 Home Premium (upgraded from Windows Vista x86 Home Premium)
  5. Aswell as on Windows 7 x64 Home Premium (clean install)

Errormessage (BSOD):

Happens during boot (during Windows 7 logo animation), mainly after restarting, but also sometimes when starting up after a normal shutdown.

Sadly it doesn't occur consistently, but when it happens once, every further (re)start is BSOD.

At least you can start the repair mode and reset it with restore points (I created some manually) and it works again, until the 2nd or 3rd shutdown/restart where it BSODs again.

Removing the printer software after BSOD > Restore ... fixes the problem (has been tested with 7 shutdowns/starts and 5 restarts. No BSODs occured then anymore. This is no permanent solution as I need the device for printing.

It worked on Vista without any problems but Windows Vista was never modified (yes it ran perfectly fine since 9 years, but was getting slower and slower, thats why the SSD upgrade aswell). 

0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A99... the rest is not readable, I had to record it and go through the video frame by frame as it instantly shutdown within <1sec.

Description:

Recently I upgraded this laptop with a SSD (Samsung 850 Evo 250 GB). Due to the fact that Windows Vista support was terminated, I decided to (at the same time) upgrade it to Windows 7 x86 for safety reasons.

So I bought a Windows 7 Home Premium and did the upgrade process (x86). Besides some other problems, it worked.

Until I installed the Printer software.

So after some further attempts, I decided to do a clean install (Windows 7 x64 Home Premium), as I suspect that the OS was just too old and caused this BSOD. That didn't make a difference for this error. 

Installing the printer software, you have to restart during installation process. That works fine always.

Then you can print after this installation process. Restarting / Shutdown+Startup after that results in this BSOD.

It was installed with the WLAN option (not adhoc, but over a router, so the print command goes from Laptop > Router > Printer, all on WLAN). Printing with cable is for me no option, but I'm sure it wouldn't change a thing.

What I suspect:

So googling for this BSOD error code came up a lot of problems with AHCI mode.

I suspect that the installation changes the AHCI mode but honestly I don't know enough about this.

Any help would be appreciated.

The laptops runs without the printer software perfectly. The SSD made a huge difference, quite honestly I could use this laptop easily for a couple more years (except some hardware failure occurs in the mean time).

Thanks for any help

Blue Monkey

P.s. This Laptop has by default onyl 4 GB Ram. I know activating pagefile would wear the SSD faster. Any advice on that? Atm I have it set to 1024 - 4096 GB Pagefile. 

Windows Search Service is deactive, along with defragmentation and I undid the indexing on the SSD (under properties).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @Blue_Monkey - Hope you are well 🙂

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel!

I understand that you are having issues while using the Officejet printer on your Windows 7 PC. Thank you for the detailed issue description. It certainly points to the printer driver issue. I’d suggest you perform a clean install of the printer software using the basic drivers. Here are the steps:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.
  • Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.
  • Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer”  – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".
  • Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.
  • Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (there is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Open run again, type “%temp%” and press enter to get the temporary files. Delete all the files here. Skip the items which cannot be deleted.
  • Now restart your computer again.
  • Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.
  • Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.
  • Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.
  • Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.
  • Click on http://hp.care/2qokpnO to download and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

Now, if the issue persists, then uninstall the printer drivers from the Pc and use the Windows built-in printer drivers. Follow the steps here to install the Windows basic drivers: http://hp.care/2nxKJv8

Thanks, I will watch for your reply!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hello, @Blue_Monkey - Hope you are well 🙂

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!  It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel!

I understand that you are having issues while using the Officejet printer on your Windows 7 PC. Thank you for the detailed issue description. It certainly points to the printer driver issue. I’d suggest you perform a clean install of the printer software using the basic drivers. Here are the steps:

• First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.
  • Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.
  • Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer”  – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".
  • Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.
  • Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (there is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Open run again, type “%temp%” and press enter to get the temporary files. Delete all the files here. Skip the items which cannot be deleted.
  • Now restart your computer again.
  • Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.
  • Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.
  • Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.
  • Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.
  • Click on http://hp.care/2qokpnO to download and install the software.
  • Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

Now, if the issue persists, then uninstall the printer drivers from the Pc and use the Windows built-in printer drivers. Follow the steps here to install the Windows basic drivers: http://hp.care/2nxKJv8

Thanks, I will watch for your reply!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

The solution with Windows Drivers only, was the only solution that works. So it's at least working with the USB cable attached (scanning and printing btw).

So something with your software is wrong.

Thanks for the help though 🙂 Case closed

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.