Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Pro 8740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Tried to perform a firmware update - OJP8730_8740_1919A. 

Stepped away from the computer after it had been updating the firmware for over 45 minutes.  When I returned, on the printer screen, it said "A problem has occurred with one of the printer's critical system files.  A printer update will be installed to fix this problem."

I've plugged the printer into the computer using a USB connection and into the network, but no printer update installs.  Basically nothing happens.  I have unplugged and replugged the printer in many times.

I have looked for solutions and have tried many of the simple things recommended when encountering this error - plug into wall socket, etc.  After initialization screen the white error message above comes on and stays on.  The computer no longer recognizes the printer. 

I have uninstalled the older 8740 software and reinstalled HP Officejet Pro 8740 OJP Full Webpack and the Print and Scan Doctor, but nothing recognizes the printer, including Device Manager in Windows 10.  Basically this 8740 is a very large brick at the present time.

I can connect physically via USB or by plugging into a router.  

Any and all help appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ElaineS01, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Resetting the printer to its factory settings may help. 

• The reset instructions are specific for your printer and performing those steps on a different printer may corrupt the device.
  • I've sent you a private message with reset instructions, follow the reset instruction to perform a full reset and re-initialize the printer.
  • In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Tried it - I cannot get there.  The BL (bottom left) key does not work.  

Here is the printer boot sequence:  Plug in computer, On button lights up.  HP boot screen (black, with a blue bar across the bottom) comes up, then it goes right to the Error message ("A problem has occurred with...")  The wireless light (upper right) sometimes flashes, sometimes not.  When the Error message comes up, nothing, and I mean nothing, can be selected.  Even the power button does not do anything - stays constantly lit.  I can unplug the computer and can start it again.

Is there any way in through the USB ports, to perhaps reload or reset the firmware?

HP Recommended

@ElaineS01

That's Unfortunate. The firmware on a printer cannot be reverted to an older version. If the issue persists, please contact our HP Support team for Service Options as it could be a possible hardware failure:

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp?openCLC=true

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Select the appropriate option based on your preference.

6) Fill the web-form and proceed further.

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Update - contacted my local HP Authorized Repair dealers.  They say they do not repair HP OfficeJet Pros, as the cost of repair virtually always exceeds the cost of the printer.  

I explained the problem to them, and the techs I spoke to had no idea what to do.  They suggested reinstalling the firmware.  I explained to them I could get nothing but the error message and the PC could not even recognize the printer over ethernet.

There should be a way to force overwriting the firmware.  That is what I was looking for. 

I strongly question whether I will be buying HP printers in the future.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.