Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi All,

I'm wondering if someone can help me. I've recently bought a new toshiba laptop with Windows 8. The printer I have is HP PSC 1110. I have the disc and installed it with success to a degree. It prints but it doesn't scan. When I open the HP Photo & Imaging program to scan, it opens but the regular icons are merely small squares with no links or even text. So the scan button isn't working on the printer and there is no option to scan when the program is open - just these weird small squares where the options and menus should be. Also if I click on a photo to open it in the program I get the error message 'Cannot launch -Ctxld #Hewlett-Packard -P HPQTHB08 "with the filename of photo to open here.jpg"

I've tried reinstalling it and I've also tried HP's Printer Install for PSC 1110 for Windows 8 but at the end of the installation I get the message 'The selected printer is not currently supported by this wizard'.

Can anyone help or do I really have to get a new printer?

Hope I haven't wrecked your head!

Regards,

Sinnottam

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I checked and this printer does not have a Windows 8 driver for it which explains why you can not scan using the printer's software.  Here is a document on how to get a generic driver: "Install a Windows 8 Driver" which may be of some assistance.

However, here is a rather extensive link that provides, not only workarounds, but possible solutions for your problems with scanning:
"The Scanning Device Could Not Initialize or Related Errors"

Let me know if any of these work.  You haven't wrecked me yet! Smiley Happy

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

I checked and this printer does not have a Windows 8 driver for it which explains why you can not scan using the printer's software.  Here is a document on how to get a generic driver: "Install a Windows 8 Driver" which may be of some assistance.

However, here is a rather extensive link that provides, not only workarounds, but possible solutions for your problems with scanning:
"The Scanning Device Could Not Initialize or Related Errors"

Let me know if any of these work.  You haven't wrecked me yet! Smiley Happy

HP Recommended

Thanks - you're a real star.

The first option half worked -  "Install a Windows 8 Driver" - After uninstalling and removing everything that belonged to the printer i.e incl the digital imaging program that I used when scanning documents. I went to that link on installing the Windows 8 driver and it didn't work, but from here I tried the Driver Installation Failed option. When I was finished here it said I had successfully added the HP PSC 1100 but it wouldn't print a test page for me. It now wasn't recognised as a printer on anything I tried to print i.e. from the internet or word processor. 

So phase 2 was put in to action with your workarounds - "The Scanning Device Could Not Initialize or Related Errors" and after reseting the printer on the first option, everything is now working!

I don't know if you know this - but the digital imaging program that I removed is not installed now but there is a scan option when the printer/device is highlighted in with the printers and devices settings in the control panel. And so from here documents can be scanned etc. if you get my meaning.

So that's it. Apologies for the essay. I'm sorry it's taken me some time to try all this but I wanted to make sure I had the time to go through it all in the one go and not get distracted. Many kudos to you and with luck you won't hear from me again Smiley Happy

Thanks again,

Anne

HP Recommended

I appreciate the essays as the information you have provided was so much help for me as well.  I was worried the first link was going to give you a little trouble so I am glad I provided the second one and you are setup now.  I do think it is rare that you lost one functionality but gained another in the printers and devices folder but it works and that is all the matters! I hope you never have another printer problem again as well 🙂 Happy Scanning!

HP Recommended

This thread has been locked, For more information on HPPIW please refer to the following support document:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02681060

The HP Printer Install Wizard is a support application from HP that assisted in downloading printer software. This support application is no longer supported by HP. The last update to this software was on September 22, 2015.

To download and install the latest version of software for your HP printer, please visit 123.hp.com, HP support website, or HP Support Assistant (in English).

I Work for HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.