Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 2610
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've got an obscure problem with my HP Photosmart 2610 printer/scanner (or at least the driver) causing problems with my Windows 10.

According to the HP web site this printer is a Windows 10 compatible printer. It installs correctly. It is connected to the router via a cable and is available to be used by computers on the network which are mostly connected to the router via wifi.

The problem is when my Lenovo laptop is cold booted about 50% of the time the 'Current Location' of the temporary internet files location is blank. This causes issues with Internet Explorer and Outlook in that there is no where to put temporary files. So (for example) no images are displayed in Outlook 365 emails as there is no where to store them temporarily.

So why do I think this is a problem with the HP Photosmart 2610 I hear you ask?

Because if the HP printer is uninstalled there is never an issue with the computer again. I can cold boot it 'until the cows come home' and the  'Current Location' of the temporary internet files location is  normal (ie the proper path is always displayed there and everything works). If the printer driver for the HP Photosmart printer is installed the problem returns. Having the printer driver installed is definitely the problem.

I have had detailed help with Microsoft support over many weeks and we cannot seem to get around it. We have used the basic driver from the HP web site for this printer and this causes no issue (ie the printer works fine) but I cannot scan, which is a major drawback as I want to use the 2610 for scanning. So we need the proper HP driver so I can print and scan.

The driver information I have is:

Driver Name: printqueue.inf
Class Guid: {1ed2bbf9-11f0-4084-b21f-ad83a8e6dcdc}
Driver Date: 06/21/2006
Driver Version: 10.0.18362.1
Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Section: NO_DRV_LOCAL
Driver Rank: 0x1
Matching Device Id: PRINTENUM\LocalPrintQueue
Outranked Drivers: oem43.inf:hpphotosmart_2600_see39c:00FF0002 c_swdevice.inf:SWD\GenericRaw:00FF3001
Device Updated: false
Parent Device: SWD\PRINTENUM\PrintQueues

Now if HP had said on their web site that the HP Photosmart 2610 wasn't compatible withe Windows 10 then I would have accepted this BUT they say it is. I personally think there is some issue with the driver but it appears that HP don't support this driver anymore.

Can any HP guru supply a cure or at least a work around for this issue? More information can be supplied if needed!

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended

@kwaka738

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Let's try to do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Betty0610

This has all been done and more.

The HP software has been removed including by Tier 3 Microsoft support (while trouble shooting what the issue is). The registry was edited to get rid of all traces of the HP software. Tier 3 Microsoft support are very impressive. They have performed most of the tasks as initially they  thought there was an obscure Windows 10 problem. 

Windows 10 has been reinstalled (leaving the current applications in the computer).

The Solid State Hard Disk has been reformatted and a fresh installation of Windows 10 has been installed on two occasions.

Microsoft support has set up different profiles in case my (current) profile was corrupted.

A partition was also created on the hard drive (set up 2GB D drive) and had the HP drivers installed on this 'D' partition.

Nothing worked.

It all leads back to the HP software causing the issue.

Uninstall the HP software and computer boots and works perfectly. Install the HP software and we get intermittent problems were the 'Current Location' of the temporary internet files is blank (ie error mode).

Very frustrating as when the computer is up and running with the HP printer software installed the HP printer performs all functions perfectly (ie it prints, scan, copies, .....). The printer has always worked well and it still works perfectly with my current Windows 7 laptop (an my Windows 10 laptop when it boots properly).

I  really appreciate your input.

HP Recommended

Let's create a TCP IP port

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)

2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right-click the printer and left-click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.

3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.

4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:

Create & Use TCP IP port

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day! 

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Betty 0610.

Sorry for not replying earlier but haven’t had a chance to spend much time on the computer plus I wanted to gather sufficient information so we know if the problem is the same, better or worse.

I have added a new TCP/IP port for my printer as per the previous post. To be clear there are now two TCP/IP port for the printer with the same IP address. It was fairly straight forward to do what was suggested in the previous post. The problem is still there though it may not be as intermittent. (It's hard to tell with intermittent problems!)

I have cold booted my laptop 56 times since I have added the new port and it has failed 12 times.

Just to be clear when the computer boots up and the ‘Current Location’ (of the Temporary Internet Files is blank i.e. it’s in fault mode) the printer and scanner still work.

I’m resigning myself to the fact that this issue probably won’t be resolved but I can live with it. It’s really just an annoying inconvenience. It’s not worth buying another printer when the one I’ve got works great. It’s just this minor boot up problem that I was hoping to resolve.

My wife also has the same problem on her Windows 10 laptop. As previously stated our ‘old’ Windows 7 laptops (which obviously uses similar but slightly different software) never have or never had an issue with this printer.

Thanks for the help and suggestions 😊.

HP Recommended

I would suggest you try the Windows built-in drivers. Follow the steps below:

•    Go to Control Panel - Devices and Printers - Click on "Add printer" and follow the on-screen instructions.

•    When the page prompts for the drivers, select "Windows update". The driver list will be updated.

•    Click HP, Hewlett Packard, or Hewlett-Packard in the Manufacturer pane, and then click the name of your printer in the Printers pane.

Refer to this document HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver for help.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Betty

We (Microsoft Support mainly and me) have tried the Windows built in print driver. This works and gives basic printing functionality and does not cause any error on boot up.

However, it does not give access to the printer’s scan facility. I use the scanning ability of the printer a lot. I use the 2610 more for scanning than printing actually.

I need the HP Full Feature Driver to give me access to the scanning ability of the 2610. Also, if you use the basic Windows driver, the Scan feature built into Windows 10 cannot be used. We tried that with Microsoft support.

You can only access the full functionality of the HP Photosmart 2610 printer with the HP full feature driver.

You can access the HP Full Feature Driver and the Windows Update driver here:
https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c04658195
then click on HP Photosmart printers link to display the complete list. You will see the HP Photosmart 2610 listed with the Full Feature Driver and the Windows Update Driver.

Thanks for your assistance and suggestions.

HP Recommended

Thanks Betty

We (mainly Microsoft Support) have tried the Windows built in print driver. This works and gives basic printing functionality and does not cause any error on boot up.

However, it does not give access to the printer’s scan facility. I use the scanning ability of the printer a lot. I use the 2610 more for scanning than printing actually.

I need the HP Full Feature Driver to give me access to the scanning ability of the 2610. Also, if you use the basic Windows driver the Scan feature built into Windows 10 cannot be used. We tried that with Microsoft support. Also it looks like the Scan feature in Windows 10 is substandard when compared to the bells and whistles HP provide via their HP Solution Center interface.

You can only access the full functionality of the HP Photosmart 2610 printer with the HP full feature driver.

then click on HP Photosmart printers link to display the complete list. You will see the HP Photosmart 2610 listed with the Full Feature Driver and the Windows Update Driver.

HP Recommended

Thanks Betty

We (mostly Microsoft Support) have tried the Windows built in print driver. This works and gives basic printing functionality and does not cause any error on boot up.

I need the HP Full Feature Driver to give me access to the scanning ability of the 2610. Also, if you use the basic Windows driver the Scan feature built into Windows 10 cannot be used. We tried that with Microsoft support.

HP Recommended

Thanks Betty

We (mostly Microsoft Support) have tried the Windows built in print driver. This works and gives basic printing functionality and does not cause any error on boot up.

I need the HP Full Feature Driver to give me access to the scanning ability of the 2610. Also, if you use the basic Windows driver the Scan feature built into Windows 10 cannot be used. We tried that with Microsoft support.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.