Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

So is the issue resolved?

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No the problem is not resolved.

If I use the Windows basic driver there is no problem with booting the computer but I can't use the scan facility of the 2610 which I need.

The problem is still there as I need the HP Full Feature Driver to use the full capability of the 2610 and then I get my intermittent problem returning.

(Sorry about the (3) multiple posts of my last message. Each time I replied yesterday the message I just posted just disappeared. Lucky I had it saved. Can I delete 2 of the multiple messages?)

HP Recommended

You can try these methods of scanning: 

• HP Scan and Capture app (Windows 10, 😎: Scan documents or photos from the printer or webcam. A full feature print driver must be installed on the computer. For more information, go to Using the HP Scan and Capture App (Windows 8 and 10).

• Windows Scan app (Windows 10, 😎: Search the Microsoft Store for windows scan to find and install this app.

• Microsoft Paint (All Windows versions): Search Windows for paint, and then open the Paint desktop app. Click File or the menu icon  , and then click From scanner or camera.

• Windows Fax and Scan (All Windows versions): Search Windows for fax to open the desktop app, and then click New Scan.

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Betty

I had a look at the suggestions for scanning.

1. The first one requires the Full Feature Print Driver which is my problem all along.
  2. Microsoft Support tried the Scan App and it definitely didn’t work. I think from memory the printer was too old. It needed something newer. This was with the basic driver.
  3. I looked at Windows Paint and it is very basic and would not suit my needs
  4. Windows Fax and Scan is a little better than Paint but again it’s too basic.

It seems that we are now looking at alternatives instead of addressing the issue of why my HP Photosmart 2610 printer, which according to HP is supposed to be Windows 10 compatible, is not fully compatible, or at least we can’t find out why it isn’t.

However, the problem is not as bad as could be as I have a ‘work around’ to get things going.

When my computer cold boots up into ‘fault mode’ (ie the 'Current Location' of the temporary internet files location is blank) which happens about one time in five, if I then sign out of Windows 10 and sign back in again the problem is temporarily resolved (ie the 'Current Location' of the temporary internet files location is now correctly specified). I don’t know why this happens but it does. To be clear the problem will now not occur until the computer is cold booted again and then we are back in the ‘it goes faulty approximately one in five times scenario’.

I’m much happier to do this as HP’s interface to the printer (which is HP Solution Center) it great and it gives me so much more flexibility with my scanning options. So, I will continue to do this.

Of course, I would have loved for there to be no issue with using the Full Function Print Driver but it looks like I will just have to use the ‘work around’.

Thanks for your help Betty but I’m beginning to think there is some subtle issue that makes things occasionally go awry!

HP Recommended

Create a local account and try installing it there: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc...

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Betty

Microsoft Support Tier 3 tried this. It did not work.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@kwaka738

I think this issue needs some additional technical assistance that can be better provided through one-on-one interaction or a remote session with our HP Support team.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region for further assistance. 

Keep me posted for any other assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried support before I came to this forum. 

The virtual agent is useless for my problem. I also believe that as my printer was out of warranty so any 'one on one' support I could get would have to be paid for.

I was only interested in getting to the bottom of this problem if it was relatively easy which it appears not to be. The fact that the printer is 'supposedly' Windows 10 compatible (as stated on the HP web site) but appears not to be entirely is frustrating BUT I can understand HP not wanting to spend time on something that is no longer supported.

Just for clarity, if my computer is boots up and the 'Current Location' of the temporary internet files is specified the 2610 works 100% correctly. Even if the computer boots up and the 'Current Location' of the temporary internet files is not specified the 2610 works 100% correctly. It's just that the driver is somehow causing this problem!

Thanks for all the help (especially Betty) but I kind of thought all along that I wouldn't find a simple solution.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.