Post new question
Question

Student
Message 1 of 3 (76 Views)

HP Photosmart 5514 will not print in grayscale

Product Name: HP Photosmart 5514
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My HP Photosmart 5514 will not print in grayscale despite selecting "grayscale" in the print options. I think this is a software problem since it will print areas of the document that are black.

I have changed the settings for the printer to allow "High Quality Grayscale" but that has not helped at all. Before this setting was set to "off" but I changed it by following these steps: Open devices and printers folder, right click printer, select printing preferences, go to advanced, enable "high quality grayscale" in the "print in grayscale" field.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 3 (40 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 5514 will not print in grayscale

Hi @alleycat909,

Allow me to welcome to HP Support Forums! It is a great platform to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

I understand you are having issues with your HP Photosmart printer not printing in grey scale. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

Go to Control panel – Devices and printers.

Right-click on envy 5660 and select Printing preferences.

Go to the layout / paper quality tab and look for the “Print in grayscale” / “Grayscale” or “Black & White” printing option.

Make sure that option is checked, save the setting and then try printing again.

That should do the trick, but if the issue persists, then try reinstalling the drivers as suggested below:

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13 ). Restart the PC

14 ). Now click on the link: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL40649/mp-108849-3/PS5510d_1315-1.exe and install the updated printer software

15 ). Connect the USB cable only when prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the setup.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance!

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world

Available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

Grad Student
Message 3 of 3 (30 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 5514 will not print in grayscale

Hello Alleycat,  

Here's a tip.  The HP Photosmart 5514 drivers can be downloaded at the below link.  Click on Download Software and Drivers, click Go and click Download.  You may find it's  not needed to uninstall first, as it should overwrite.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-photosmart-5510-e-all-in-one-printer-duplexer-se...

I am not an HP employee and Jeet_Singh is the expert here!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation