Having trouble signing in? Try this!
Post new question
Question

Honor Student
Message 1 of 6 (138 Views)

HP Photosmart 7520 Printing Issues

Product Name: HP Photosmart 7520
Operating System: macOS 10.13 High Sierra

Recently when trying to print a document, my printer stopped printing the black ink. I followed instructions on your website on how to clean the cartridges, ran the printers cleaning diagnostics to no avail. It won't even print the ink levels anymore.

Does this mean that I have to replace the cartridge holder? I don't understand what the problem is.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
HP Support Agent
Message 2 of 6 (109 Views)

Re: HP Photosmart 7520 Printing Issues

@Shabyna

Thanks for taking an interest in the HP Support Forums After reading your post I see that your HP Photosmart 7520 printer is not printing in black. I will be a delight to assist you here.

Superb analysis and brilliant diagnosis of the issue before posting. Smiley Happy  Kudos to you on that score.Smiley Happy

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this:

Did you check the ink cartridges are properly vented?

If not, make sure the ink cartridges are properly vented and seated correctly

1. Turn on the printer, if it is not already on.

2. Open the ink cartridge access door.

The carriage moves to the access area.

Figure : Opening the ink cartridge access door

Image: Open the cartridge access door.
  3. Wait until the printer is idle and silent before you continue.

4. Press the tab on the front of the ink cartridge inward to release it, and then pull up on the ink cartridge to remove it from the slot.

Figure : Removing the ink cartridge from the slot

Image: Remove the cartridge from the slot.
  5. Examine the vent area on each ink cartridge, above the HP logo on the top of the ink cartridge.

Figure : Example of the vent area on the top of the ink cartridge

Image: Vent area on the top of the cartridge.
  6. If the ink cartridge still has the pull tab attached, pull to remove it.

Figure : Example of the orange pull tab

Image: Orange pull tab.
  7. If the vent is clogged, use a straight pin to gently remove excess adhesive from the vent.

Figure : Cleaning the clogged vent with a pin

1. Clogged vent

2. With a straight pin, gently remove excess adhesive from the vent

3. Unclogged vent

8. With the nozzle and the contacts facing down, slide the ink cartridge into its slot. Press down on the ink cartridge until it snaps into place. Make sure the color icon on the ink cartridge label matches the color icon on the slot.

Figure : Reinsert the cartridge

Image: Reinsert the cartridge.
  9. Repeat these steps to inspect the vents on each ink cartridge.

10. Make sure each ink cartridge is firmly in place in its slot. Run your finger along the top of the cartridges to feel for any that are protruding, and if any are, press down firmly until each ink cartridge snaps into place.

11. Close the ink cartridge access door.

Figure : Closing the ink cartridge access door

Image: Close the cartridge access door

Clean the printhead manually

1. Set the pan on the stove, and then fill the pan with filtered or distilled water.

CAUTION:

Do not use alcohol or other solvents. This might damage the printhead, causing the printhead layers to separate, requiring replacement of the printhead.

2. Heat the water until the water is very warm to the touch, but do not boil the water.

3. Stack the paper towels at the bottom of the disposable container until the stack is about 6.5 mm (1/4 inch) deep.

4. Pour the warm water from the pan into the disposable container so that it is 5 cm (2 inches) deep and covering the paper towels.

5. Put on disposable gloves to prevent ink from transferring to your skin or clothes.

6. Press the tab on the front of the ink cartridges to release them, and then lift the ink cartridges out of the printhead.

NOTE:

Do not leave the ink cartridge outside the printer for longer than 30 minutes. The printhead and ink cartridges can be damaged by being exposed to air outside of the printer.

Figure : Removing the ink cartridges

Image: Remove the ink cartridge from the slot.
  7. Set the ink cartridges upside down on a paper towel.

Figure : Placing the ink cartridges upside down

Image: Place the ink cartridges upside down
  8. Lift the latch handle on the carriage until it stops, and then carefully lift up on the printhead to remove it from the printer.

Figure : Removing the printhead

Image: Remove the printhead
  9. Moisten one of the clean, lint-free cloths with some of the warm water and use it to clean the underside of the printhead. Repeatedly wipe the nozzle area gently until excess black or color ink does not transfer to the cloth. Do not press into the nozzle area as this can cause damage.

CAUTION:

Do not force water into the printhead, this can cause printhead delamination.

Figure : Wiping the nozzles

Image: Wipe the nozzles
  10. Place the printhead into the disposable container so that the bottom rests on the paper towels, and then let it soak for 10 minutes.

Figure : Soaking the printhead

1. Paper towels

2. Water level

11. Remove the printhead, and then gently wipe the excess water with a dry lint free cloth.

CAUTION:

Do not use a hair dryer to dry off the printhead. This could cause the nozzles to dry out and clog.

12. Let the printhead air-dry on a paper towel for 15 minutes with the nozzles facing up.

CAUTION:

Do not use compressed air to blow out the printhead. This can cause delamination of the printhead.

Figure : Printhead drying with the nozzles up

Image: Printhead drying with the nozzles up
  13. Lower the printhead into the carriage, and then carefully lower the latch handle.

NOTE:

Make sure the colored shapes on the sides of the printhead line up with the colored shapes on the carriage.

Figure : Installing the new printhead

Image: Install the new printhead

Figure : Lowering the latch handle

Image: Lower the latch handle
  14. With the ink cartridge contacts facing the printhead, slide the ink cartridge into the correct slot. The color-coded icons on the ink cartridge and in the printhead indicate the correct slot.

Press down on the ink cartridge until it snaps firmly into place.

Figure : Inserting the ink cartridge

Image: Insert the ink cartridge.
  15. Repeat these steps for each ink cartridge.

You can refer this HP Document for more assistance: https://hp.care/2ivvhgQ

If the issue persists, this issue may require one to one interaction with the HP Phone Support.

I suggest that you contact HP Phone Support for further assistance at the link: https://hp.care/2uJxnug

You have a good day ahead.

Cheers.

sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Honor Student
Message 3 of 6 (85 Views)

Hi @sandytechy20(HP Support Agent),

I received your email with steps to take to clean the ink cartridges etc. I had taken all those steps earlier by reading the advice here on the support pages.

It still does not work and won't even print the print levels. I'm really frustrated! Any advice? Thank you.

HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 6 (69 Views)

@Shabyna

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

As you have already tried these steps and still having the issue, I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. If your product is Out of warranty then remember to choose the paid options to get the tech support number.

They might have multiple options to help you on this.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

Cheers

sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the Thumbs up" button!

Honor Student
Message 5 of 6 (46 Views)

@sandytechy20, I followed your last directions and put in the product number in order to get to HP phone contact - however, after putting in the product number, it says product warranty is over and the only option it gave me was to join the support group - no phone option. I just need to find out if I have to replace the cartridge holder. Thanks.

HP Support Agent
Message 6 of 6 (33 Views)

@Shabyna,

It looks like you were interacting with @sandytechy20, but he is out for the day & I'll be glad to help you out, 
I'm the Jeet_Singh & I'm at your service. 

I understand you are trying to fill up the form to contact our HP phone support and unfortunately there is no option for phone number. Don't worry I'm going to help you with this information.

Could you please send me the country/region from where you are contacting us via a private message and I shall help you with the information.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation