Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart 8150
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Does anyone know whether this printer (which was supported in Windows 7) is supported in Windows 10 as although the printer is recognised when I try to print in comes up in error and display 'offline'. I have tried powering off / on and tried a different USB port.

41 REPLIES 41
HP Recommended

@bandofbruvvers,

Thank you for posting your query on HP Community,

After reading the post, I did go through the software and driver download page for this printer and found that there is no full feature software available for Windows 10.

If you wish to continue using this printer on a Windows 10 machine you would need to install the printer using Windows built in drivers. 

You may follow the steps suggested in this support document for - HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help you.

That said, If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Have a great day!

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet,

I went through the steps that you suggested and whilst the 'HP Photosmart 8100 Series' driver is found I receive the error

'Printer is in an error state'. I know there is nothing wrong with the USB connection as I connected the printer to a Windows 7 desktop and printed without any problem. Any further ideas would be grateful.

I only upgraded my PC to Windows 10 so that I could run certain games and cannot understand why older hardware is not supported under Windows 10...Give me Windows 7 anyday 😉

Regards

Trevor

HP Recommended

@bandofbruvvers,

There seems to be an issue uninstalling the printer drivers. 

Let's try to Delete job files and restart the print spooler

Whenever a print job is sent to the printer a file is created in Windows. Sometimes these files become corrupt and cause problems. To properly reset your printing environment, delete these print job files manually and restart both the computer and the printer.

NOTE: 

Restarting PC or the printer spooler cancels all the jobs from other printer as well, so make sure all the printers installed in the PC are idle or wait for them to complete the printing.

1. Turn off the printer using the power button.

2. Search Windows for run, and click the Run Windows application in the list of results.

3. Type services.msc in the Run window, and then press Enter on the keyboard.

The Services menu opens.

4. Right-click Print Spooler and select Stop.

Figure : Example of stop selection for Print Spooler Service

Service window the Print Spooler service selected from the Name list and the Stop selection called out.
  5. After the service has been stopped, close the service window and use Windows Explorer to browse to C:\Windows\System32\Spool\PRINTERS.

6. Delete all files inside the PRINTERS folder.

7. Restart your computer.

8. Turn on your printer.

If the issue persists, I would suggest here is to Uninstall the printer drivers and then try installing the Windows built-in drivers for the printer.

Please follow the steps below to uninstall the printer from the root level: 

• Press “Windows key” + “r” to get the “Run” window.
  • Type "services.msc" to get Services – Go to “Print spooler” – Right-click and “Stop” the service.
  • Now again open "Run" - Type “spool” and ok - Go to PRINTERS folder - delete everything in that folder.
  • Go to services again - Start the print spooler.
  • Now check for issue resolution.
  • If the issue persists, also try clean installing the printer drivers. Here are the steps:
  • First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.
  • Go to Control panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Photosmart printer entries and uninstall them.
  • Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.
  • Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.
  • Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.
  • Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.
  • Restart your computer.

You may follow the steps suggested in this support document for - HP Printers - Installing and Using the Windows Built-in Print Driver

Simply turn on the printer and connect the USB cable from the printer to the PC. The drivers will be installed in 2-3 minutes. Go to Control panel - Devices and printers to check the printer entry and make it as default printer if needed.

Let me know the outcome!

Cheers 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I have followed your unstructions to the letter and yes my system recognises the HP 8100 Series printer'.It also installed an 'unrecognisable device' with the same name which does not appear to be correct    I have then set the printer as default but whenever I try to print I get an error message whilst trying to print still.

HP Recommended

@bandofbruvvers,

I recommend you create a new user account on the computer following the steps in the below article and then install the printer and check if it helps.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc...

NOTE: If you have any anti-virus or security programs installed on the computer please disable them before installing the printer.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I attempted what you suggested regarding a local administrator account but the problem still exists

I have taken some screenshots of my attempted resolution of te issue

As I have said the printer is recognised but as an 'Unspecfied Device' ...and not as a printer

pic3.pngPic1.png

Select Use an existing port (USB001: Virtual printer port for USB)...As you can see from the screenshot I do not get this option ?

pic2.png

pic5.pngpic6.pngpic7.png

I am really disappointed that that Windows 10 appears on my setup at least not to support my printer which yes I have had for many years but I should not have to go to the expense (which it looks like I will have to) to purchase another printer purely because I have upgraded my system to a supposedly better operating system which I'm afraid in my opinion it is definately NOT

HP Recommended

@bandofbruvvers,

In this scenario, I would recommend you contact our HP support team so that they can remotely take control of your PC and help you check the settings. 

HP support team can be reached on this link.

Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help you.

That said, Take care and have a great day!

Thank you 🙂

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I would also add some other things to try, which I believe may help to get the problem resolved:

From the Microsoft Update Catalog download and extract your latest printer drivers:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/driver/drvs/2013/01/20054804_b05f17ab27e43fd4c87...

Using any unzipping tool such as Winrar or 7Z extract the file to a known location, or use the expand command as described under Installing drivers within below Microsoft's support document"

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/323166/how-to-download-updates-that-include-drivers-and-hot...

From the Control Panel look for the Unspecified printer, right click it and look for Printer Properties.

Within the Advanced tab click New Driver and follow the wizard.

Click Have Disk and browse to the extracted folder location, then select the HP Photosmart 8100 Series and complete the wizard, then check for any difference.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi,

I have tried as you suggested and although the device is present in the list of printers when I attempt to print just a test page I still get 'Error trying to print'

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.