Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Me too

HP Recommended

Could you please right-click the printer, select Printer Properties, then look within the Ports tab and let me know which port is selected?

looking forward to hearing back from you,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

It displays

Port: DOT4_001

Description: HP Print Device

Printer: HP Photosmart 8100 Series

HP Recommended

I am also having this problem -- same printer, plus a Canon printer.  Both quit working after the recent Windows 10 update.  Both work fine on my laptop, which has not been updated, but do not work on another desktop which has the same Windows 10 update.  I've tried changing cables, uninstalling and reinstalling, resetting,-- everything suggested by everyone but with no luck.  Any help would be appreciated.

HP Recommended

Not sure HP will admit its a driver problem, instead such post are deleted, this will be too . Really bad. service.

HP Recommended

Same problem here. I've been through everything a dozen times and am convinced HP needs to creates an updated Win10 driver. The original CD won't reinstall and HP says to use the manual installation method and use the Windows drivers, but they don't work and oftentimes the Photosmart 8100 Series drivers don't even appear.

Sometimes during that process, after Updating WIndows drivers, Photosmart 8100 Series will appear. However, most of the time it won't create a USB001 port, which is required for printing. Once  in awhile USB001 does appear, but print jobs still won't print. The Win10 update driver seems to install to a certain point, but not 100%. 

My guess is that since this is printer is at least 10 years old, Microsoft won't update the driver. HP should,  however. 

HP Recommended

I have a Photosmart 8400 which has stopped working.  Sounds like a similar problem.  The printer appears offline.

HP Recommended

@asfhgwt, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

HP Photosmart 8150 Photo Printer does not have a compatible driver for Windows 10 OS. Using the Windows built-in driver may resolve this issue.

Kindly refer to the steps mentioned in this document to know how to install the printer using Windows built-in driver.

Note: If you are not able to find the Photosmart 8100 drivers, please update Windows and try again.

Select the Start button, and then go to Settings > Update & Security Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

If this does not help, try installing a generic driver - HP Deskjet 990c from the list which would hold good for HP Photosmart 8150 printer.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@mph60, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Make sure the USB cable is connected between the printer and the PC.

The USB cable should not be longer than 3 meters and use of a USB Hub is not recommended.

HP Photosmart 8400 Printer series does not have a compatible driver for Windows 10 OS. Using the Windows built-in driver may resolve this issue.

Kindly refer to the steps mentioned in this document to know how to install the printer using Windows built-in driver.

Note: If you are not able to find the Photosmart 8100 drivers, please update Windows and try again.

Select the Start button, and then go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, and select Check for updates.

If this does not help, try installing a generic driver - HP Deskjet 990c from the list which would hold good for HP Photosmart 8400 printer series.

Let me know how this goes.

If you feel my post solved your issue, please click “Accept as Solution”, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Can a HP Deskjet 990c driver also replace the HP 8150 Photosmart driver ???

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.