Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

@Bjarne7, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

HP Deskjet 990c and HP Deskjet 6980 are the generic drivers. These drivers can be used as a substitute for HP 8150 Photosmart printer.

Follow the steps mentioned in my previous post to know how to install the generic driver.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am not sure about anyone else, but what HP fails to understand in my situation is that my HP Photosmart 8150 WORKED PERFECTLY under Windows 10 since Windows 10 was released.  Nothing changed!  I did not change the port, or the cable, or the power (though I did change out an ink cartridge).  It was after the recent Windows 10 update (2016-06 Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64 based Systems) that both my printers -- the HP mentioned and a Canon all-in-one printer.  Neither printer will work on either of my desktop computers, but work fine on my laptop which has not been updated.  

HP Recommended

@pathhes123 & HP Support, -  EXACTLY same expirience I had with my HP 8150, and therefore once again, - the same question to HP support, - can I really fix this by installing a different HP driver ? -

HP Recommended

On 07-08-2019, 6:54 AM above, HP employee Kumar admitted that there is no 8150 driver for Win10. Yes, the old driver worked before Win10 update #1903, but not anymore. It is unlikely that HP or Microsoft will address this issue and provide an updated driver since the printer is at least 10 years old.

Win10 sees the device but usually knows it as "unspecified"; sometimes it does identify it as a printer. For me, the main problem is that a USB virtual printer port either doesn't get created or disappears upon restart even if it does. Without that port, communication between the PC and printer is impossible. It's as if the Win10 driver installs properly 80-90% of the way-- not good enough. I have Microsoft's "research team" working on it and will post again if they come up with a solution in app. 4-5 days. 

HP Recommended

@Asfhgwt . Thanks for the serious reply

HP Recommended

Has anyone tried using HP Employee Kumar's HP Deskjet 990c and HP Deskjet 6980 generic drivers? (I can't do so for a few days.)

HP Recommended

Update to my previous post--

Microsoft tried today for two hours but to no avail, and recommended that I contact HP ☹️ .... I also attempted Kumar's Deskjet 6890 drivers but they don't appear in the Win10 drivers list; apparently Win 10 doesn't support them either. HP's website says to use Win10's drivers, so this is a dead end. I see no way to fix this problem without creating a USB virtual printer port through setup. HP wants $ for support (which I doubt they can provide in this case) so I give up. Time to buy another printer, but it won't be an HP.... Good luck to all.

HP Recommended

I thought when I originally posted this problem I was doing something incredibly stupid but I have been an IT Technician for more years than I care to remember so I do know my way around computer hardware so I'm not surprised that other people have this problem. The only reason I upgraded to Windows 10 (I much prefer Windows 7) was because I purchased a new Motherboard / CPU/ Ram combo and the board wouldnt recognise Windows 7 USB devices (Mouse / Keyboard) after Windows 10 installation. So basically,  I like you and everyone else have the option of paying HP lots of money to try and fix the problem or buy another printer neither of which I am very happy to do. As many people have said there is nothing wrong with their 8150 printer as it works perfectly well on Windows 7. I am not interested whose issue it is HP's or Microsoft I just want a resolution !!!

HP Recommended

I'm glad I found this post!  I thought I was crazy.  My functional HP Photosmart 8150 and HP LaserJet 2100M (modified internally with usb serial-to-lpt hardware) both stopped working after the Windows 10 "upgrade" to 1903.  I've tried everything on the above list.  I worked with two Microsoft technicians for four hours on the phone and they did everything suggest above even after I told him they were just duplicating my efforts.  He even set up a new account on my computer and tried a fresh install of the print drivers.  Guess what, same outcome.  It all started as "printer offline" then became "printer error".  I understand that HP has to stop supporting printers at some date; however, both of my old printers are still on the HP website as supported printers albeit they use the Windows 10 drivers and not the full featured HP drivers.  I really hate to landfill two printers and purchase a new printer!  What will I do if the new printer will not work in the "upgraded" Windows 10 environment? Imagine the frustration "talk to HP" no "talk to Microsoft" after you spend three days trying all of our troubleshooting tools.  Yikes, maybe I should purchase a service contract with HP so they can tell me my printers don't work with the Windows 10 update.  To bad the video card is not working on my old Vista computer.  I could carry a flash drive to the basement and PRINT my documents!

HP Recommended

Here's a workaround you could try -- use an older PC as a print server.

I currently have a Win8 PC with two printers directly connected to it. I also have a Win10 PC. Both computers can see/interact with each other across my simple home network (via my TV's Verizon router). The Win10 PC has no trouble printing across the network.

In theory, therefore, if 1) a printer works on a PC with an earlier version of Windows, and 2) your Win10 PC can see/interact across a network with that PC, you'll be able to print to the printer. If you can try this, let me know if it works. Good luck.

(BTW, my earlier Photosmart 8150 posts referred to my girlfriend's printer. Naturally she refuses to try the above workaround....)

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.