Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have a windows 7 64-bit OS and I'm trying to install the printer software.  The software initially starts and at the point where it checks for updates it just disappears.  I see nothing in task manager leading me to believe it has just shut itself down.  The first time I tried to install the software it actually hung up at this point and I used task manager to close it down.  Since then it just disappears.  I have also tried to install the drivers manually but there are no C4700 photosmart printers under Hewlett Packard or HP when you go that route in Windows.  I also looked on the HP website but all they provide is the full software download.  Needless to say I cannot print with this PC because Windows does not recognize it when you plug in the USB, let alone via wireless.  Interestingly, the HP network utility found the printer no problem and then pointed to the same software that keeps crashing for installing the drivers.  Any ideas on what I can do?  I've tried everything HP lists under troubleshooting to no avail with the last suggestion being to post on this forum.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I think clearing out the temp directory did the trick for me, see this HP support link step 3: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00836418

View solution in original post

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

I had the exact same problem, Win7 x64. What I did was to run the setup file in Vista compatibility mode and also did a 'Run as Administrator'. After that it worked fine.

HP Recommended

I think clearing out the temp directory did the trick for me, see this HP support link step 3: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00836418

HP Recommended

Hello,

HP Photosmart c4780 driver software won't install on windows 7 download link.

HP Recommended

I have a windows 7 64-bit OS and I'm trying to install the printer software.  The software initially starts and at the point where it checks for updates it just disappears.  

I have tried turning off my antivirus, even uninstalling it and it still doesnt work.

i have tried downloading the 32bit driver and installing it on a 32 bit machine and it works fine but i cant seem to install it on a my own 64bit machine.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

HP Recommended

I believe this was the same Issue I had and clearing out the temp directory did the trick - see previous post for complete list of directions to install software and driver

HP Recommended

Hi thanks for the reply

i followed those steps of clearing out the temp files and installing the software but it didnt work

it must not support windows 7  64bit, i will try calling hp support 

HP Recommended

the solution that worked for me

Download the driver off the Hp website

Dont use the HP installer, Extract the downloaded files, then when the installer autoruns, close it.

Navigate to the extracted folder containing the extracted setup files (usually a temp folder) if you cant find it search in windows explorer for "datecreated:02/11/2011"(todays date) or the current date in the format your machine uses, then scroll through the few thousand files untill you spot the one called setup.exe (should be at the top as they are sorted by time most recent) and you can identify the folder from there.

Then use the windows add new hardware feature to install the driver by selecting this location as the source for the driver. This also saves you installing the HP printing bloatware with your driver.

You may also wish to check that the service "Spooler" is running and not disabled, you can do this by right clicking the start menu, selecting task manager and going to the services tab.
HP Recommended

I cleaned off the temp files and did everything in the HP Support link, and it still won't complete the load.

The other suggestion of running in Vista mode was never required for me to do a complete load in

Windows7 before.

HP Recommended

Hi

I downloaded the 64 bit driver and extracted the file using 7zip ( which is free) or u can use winzip , winrar etc

then go into add device and select printer , click on have disk and select the folder u extracted and then install it .

worked fine for me

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.