Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Officejet 6700
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I had setup my HP Officejet 6700 via network printing and scanning for many years, and it worked fine. This past week, I updated my network router, and decided to change the ip domain addresses. This meant all my devices on the network needs to be updated to new ip addresses. I was able to get the printer driver to update to new ip address. But I'm having problems with the scanner software. I use HP Scan, and it occasionally tells me that it cannot find the scanner, and ask me to check my network. 

I used the HP Utility to update the IP address. After updating the IP address and rebooting the PC, HP Scan is able to find the Officejet 6700. But after a couple of scans, it said it can't find Officejet on the network. 

I even went into Regedit; search for all the entries with the old ip address, and update it manually to the new ip address. Yet HP Scan seems to work only for the first few times, then can't find the device on the network. Are there anywhere else that needs to update the ip address for HP Scan?

BTW, the printer driver is able to find the printer on the network. It's just the scanner driver is not.

Tim

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Can you try using a TCP/IP port?

Create a TCP IP port

1. Print a Configuration Page to get the printer's IPv4 address (you can also tap on the wireless icon on the Front panel of your Printer to get the IP address)
2. On your PC, go to Control Panel, from Devices and Printers, right click the printer and left click Printer Properties, select the Ports tab.
3. Click Add Port, select Standard TCP/IP Port, then select New Port and follow the wizard.
4. Type in the proper IP address for the printer.

This video resource will show you how to do it:

Create & Use TCP IP port

Note that you can ALWAYS revert back to the original port that the HP software installed by selecting the HP port under the Ports tab (in Printer Properties)

Let us know if that works

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Thanks Greenturtle for the suggestion.

Unfortunately that didn't work. It just seems that HPScan is using its own driver or settings somewhere in the background independent of the printer driver because any changes to the printer driver don't seem to affect HPScan. Remember, I can print to the printer, but HPScan can't find it.

Tim

HP Recommended

Hi @TimTang

Try this alternative Scan software:

HP Scan Extended

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi

Once it's downloaded and installed, go to Start > All Programs > HP > HP Scan Extended > Run "HP Scan Extended"

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Thanks again Greenturtle!

HPScan Extended exhibit the same behavior as HPScan in that it would work after rebooting the PC for a couple of times, then it can't find the device.

When I saw that HPScan Extended allowed me to select my scanner, I was wondering if HPScan was getting confused by my multiple scanner drivers. I have 2 multifunction printer drivers installed, but the other one is offline at my parents' house.  But then again HPScan Extended allow me to choose, so that shouldn't be the issue.

Then I noticed in Device and Printer of the Control Panel, the Officejet printer status was "Not connected". Yet the icon is not gray out, and I can still print to the Officejet. Also, when I start HP Officejet 6700 (HP Printer Assist) application, it's able to detect the printer and report the ink level, etc.

I have tried to uninstall the HP drivers and reinstall, but that didn't work either. 

Regards,

Tim

HP Recommended

I know this is almost a year old, but it's literally the only relevant result I pull up while looking for answers.

I had the same problem.  Uninstalled software, reinstalled software, deleted driver, reinstalled driver.  Even deleted HP directories in Local Settings and changed all registry references to prior IP address.  Nothing helped.

Finally, I put a redirect in my router to redirect the old IP address to the new one.  Kind of rigged, but it was the only thing that worked.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.