Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
M777fdw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So "Scan to Computer" initiated from the MFP defaults to the crappy Windows Scan app which doesn't save PDF and saves pages individually.  The other two options I have upon the "Scan" event are "Windows Scan and Fax" (also no PDF and saves individual pages) and "Adobe Acrobat" (clunky).  HP Scan isn't a valid option at all.  I've uninstalled all the HP drivers/apps and reinstalled, tried running HP Scan Doctor, nothing works.

Any ideas?  Is HP Scan supposed to show up as an option?  

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi,

The answer to your question is no.

Scanning to HP Scan can only be done from the HP Scan software itself.

Scanning from the front panel only provides basic OS features with the WAS scan discovery method of your operating system, HP Scan is not supported and cannot be used from the printer screen itself.

HP Does not have any Laserjet M777fdw printer, I would assume you may refer to the M277fdw or the M477fdw models? (which the answer above refers to both).

To scan PDF from the front panel you may configure scanning to a Network Folder or to Email using the Scan to Network or Email Digital Wizard within your printer software, else be sure to clarify your printer model to get any further ideas

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

It's a M477fdw.  Very disappointing - my $150 Canon laser printer supports this (front panel scan, ADF, duplex) no problem at a higher resolution.  This is really just poor software support on the part of HP.

Network folders are inherently insecure and email even more so unless you are a large enterprise running your own on site email.

For others looking for similar functionality, third party scan software like iCopy or NAPS2 can support front panel scanning.  However, using the ADF duplex scanning is not possible, I think because front panel scanning requires WIA drivers and HP's WIA drivers don't support duplex from ADF.  Also mind boggling because using TWAIN drivers ADF duplex works just fine (but can't initiate from front panel), and other manufacturers also support it with no issues.

HP Recommended

Hi,

When you use NAPS2, are you able to initiate a scan job from the front panel?

Try using below workaround and check if that may work, but I cannot guarantee any success:

From the Control Panel select Devices and Printers.

Right-click your printer and select Scan profiles, if no such option is shown also try the same by right-clicking your computer icon.

Try editing any profile by setting the Source from Flatbed to ADF or Document Feeder and confirm, be sure to change any of the listed profiles.

Now check if that may make any difference.

Hope that may help,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

I just wanted to add my voice and say that this is poor software.

My previous HP 3-in-one, which just died, did this function just fine.  Hit the scan to Computer button and the file showed up on my Documents Folder as a PDF in one simple step.

So, with my brand new HP 9015, to get a multipage PDF when the scanner is in another room, you have to open the HP Scan app, walk into the other room and put the document in the scanner, walk back to the PC and hit scan, walk back to the scanner to pickup your originals.

Who thought this was a good idea?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.