Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP MFP 1212nf
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

How can I disable the HP Smart install without the CD on the MFP 1212nf?

The option does not seem to be available on the actual printer in the Service Menu.

Without the CD, can I disable it from the PC (registry)?

Thanks,

JOG_AGthames

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi!

I understand that you would like to disable the HP Smart Install. Kindly follow the below steps.

If you have your LaserJet M1212nfw installed on another computer, then you can use the HP Smart Install utility to disable or enable HP Smart Install.

The utility is stored on the software CD, in the UTIL folder.  When you install the software CD go to "My Computer" right click on the HP Software CD and click "OPEN" and select the UTIL folder.  In the UTIL folder you can select SIUtility64.exe.  Open the Utility, click that you want to disable Smart Install on the Printer (not PC). Once the Smart install has been disabled, you can install the printer on the other computer.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Thumbs Up icon in the post that helped you.
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution
HP Recommended

Thank you but the issue is that we  do not have ths CD at all. We've installed the drivers downloaded from your websie

HP Recommended

Hi @jog-agthames,

You may obtaing the HP Smart Install Control Utility from below link, then follow the steps on screen to disable HP Smart Install for the device:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL53553/Im-129228-1/LJM1130_M1210_SI_Utility.exe

Regards,

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Thanks so much for this. I will try it and report back if I have further issues or questions.

Regards,

Jenni

HP Recommended

Hi,

I installed the HP Smart Install Control Utility but it didn't find the printer on the PC... not sure what to do now.

Thanks for your help.

Jenni

HP Recommended

Hi, your proposed solution seems to work with my M1217nfw HP printer when connected via USB cable, I can disable HPSmart using your Utility, on my Win10 Dell PC. 

However, unplugging the USB and printing wirelessly without HPsmart installed, does not work. 

My main problem is; I need to print wirelessly without getting the Win10 HPSmart Error messages indicating I have an incompatible cartridge, or low-Ink, none of which was an issue prior to upgrading my PC from Win 8 to Win 10.  Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hello - I am with the other person - running windows 10 - trying to install an HP lazerjet pro 400 401n - DO NOT HAVE INSTALL CD - when you send the link to run the smart install uninstall it does not recognize the printer because the problem we all have is the computer is recognizing the printer as a DEVICE, Not a printer - how do we fix this? Sounds like we need to get a hard copy of the install CD? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.