Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I have a new MacBook Pro and hp printer. 
when I start the app it simply hangs and is not responding. 
i found various ways in these forums to try to fix the issue. Uninstalling and installing the app again, creating a new user on my Mac and use that for everything HP smart related etc etc. 

But HP, seriously, how about just fixing the app so it works instead of all that silliness?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@BananaramaX, Welcome to HP Support Community!

The Library folder contains personalization, preference and cache files of HP Smart app. Let's try removing HP Smart App and it's associated files from the Library folder:

1.) Open Finder and click Applications

2.) Move HP Smart App to Trash and clear the Trash.

3.) Open Finder then click Go and Click Home.

4.) Click View then Click Show View Options. Check the box Show Library Folder.

The change is instantaneous and the Library folder will immediately becomes visible.

5.) Open Library and Open Application Support, move HP Smart folder to Trash and clear the Trash

6.) Download and install HP Smart App from here.

Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Tried it (except there was no "HP Smart" folder under Application Support, only an "HP" folder which I deleted instead). 

Issue is not fixed.

HP Recommended

@BananaramaX

Thanks for waiting!

Delete the support files for HP Smart and set up the printer again.

Did you originally download the HP Smart app from the Mac App Store or from HP.com?

If you installed it from hp.com then you can delete /Users/username/Library/Application Support/HP Smart.

Then delete the app in the Applications folder and download HP Smart from Mac App Store.

If you downloaded it from the app store you can basically reset it back to zero by deleting:

/Users/username/Library/Containers/com.hp.SmartMac

Then relaunch the app from the Applications folder and go through setup again.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.