Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet 8600 Plus
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Like many others in the forum, I have an issue with the HP Smart apllication on Win10.

The printer is connected via Ethernet cable to a switch, the Win10 PC is connected to the same switch. Win10 can add the printer and print. Installing a fresh HP Smart, it says that it can't connect to the printer. Following the advice in other forum entries, I uninstalled the software, deleted all drivers and installed from scratch, but all to no avail. 

The HP Print and Scan Doctor says that it can't see a printer in te first run, in the repetition run it finds an installed printer and the same printer with its IP address. If I choose the installed printer, it will insist that it can't communicate with that one, If I choose the printer instance with IP address, the print doctor tells me that some software is missing and installs something. Which, as I expected, doesn't help at all. 

I have some more Win10 machines, which happily print to tthis printer.

Please advise........

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for the information. I was able to solve the problem. I don't dare to say, but the problem was caused by the Windows firewall, which refused to let the software talk to the printer.

Best regards

Ronald

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Don_Ronaldo, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

The HP Smart app only works on wireless connectivity. It does not support an ethernet connection. For more info on printing from the HP Smart app from your Win PC, refer to this document. 

You may use the full-feature printer driver if the printer is connected using an ethernet cable to the router.

Click here to download the HP Full-featured driver.

Once downloaded, make sure to run the file to start the installation and follow the on-screen instructions.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the information. I was able to solve the problem. I don't dare to say, but the problem was caused by the Windows firewall, which refused to let the software talk to the printer.

Best regards

Ronald

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.