Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
ENVY 5000
macOS 10.12 Sierra

Hi, I have a fairly new Envy 5000.  ALl was fine but recently the HP Smart application keeps showing that the printer status is unknown?  I can print but things like ink levels i can't access from the applictaion which surely can't help with the online ink supplies??

I have uninstalled it and added it again.  I have tried it with and without a cable but no difference..  Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@JTF2, Welcome to HP Support Community!

Update the printer firmware

HP regularly releases new printer firmware versions with product enhancements or issue fixes. Depending on your printer, apps on the printer control panel might also receive updates. Update firmware and apps on a regular basis to make sure you are getting the most out of your printer. Refer to this link for help.

Also, remove the HP Smart App from your computer and add it back using the App Store.

Once the printer is configured try printing and checking the status.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks.  The printer is up to date and I had tried uninstalling the app and reinstalling it but it hasnt made a difference.  I've tried without and then with a cable but I just keep getting the message 'printer status unknown' when I launch the app on my Mac.  It worked for weeks but now it just wont find the printer. 

I cant add a printer wirelessly because it says make sure that the printer is on the same network, which it is, but it still wont find it.

However, tonight I can print to the printer from the Mac, even though it wont find it on the application.  I can also scan from the app, even though it won't find it on the application.  Not sure how it will monitor ink levels if it can't find the printer on the app!

Its bizarre, its not consistent, the only thing that is is that the 'printer status is unknown'!

HP Recommended

@JTF2,

Please provide the following info.

The network to which the printer is connected, is that a 2.5GHz network or a 5Ghz network?

The Router that you have is that dual-band?

How far is the Printer in relation to the Router?

Do you use any extenders?

Do you have any security software or Antivirus installed on your MAC?

Try restarting the Router, Printer, and MAC.

• Turn off Router wait for 60 seconds and turn it back on.
  • Turn off Printer wait for 60 seconds and turn it back on.
  • Restart the MAC
  • Try printing again.

Let me know what happens

ATHARVA_GP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, thanks for your advice.

I gather from the website that my BT router is dual band, the router is about 50cm away from the printer, I don't have any extenders nor any additional security on the Mac.

I've tried what you suggested but it makes no difference I'm afraid.

I can try adding another printer on the HP application, which it appears to do but still shows that the printer staus is unknown.  Bizarelly, as the app tries to add the printer it says it's connected by ethernet, which its not! So, it finds it but then doesnt recognise it.

I can print from a document and I can scan from the app, even though the printer status is unkown.

Also, the Instant Ink webpages show that I haven't printed any pages, which I have, so I assume I'm going to run out of ink soon as nobody knows I'm using the ink!  And I can't see that I can email anyyone to tell them!  Thanks

HP Recommended

@JTF2

To assist you better, We would need some information related to your Instant Ink Subscription. This information cannot be shared on a public post.

I have sent you a private message, reply to the message with your details.

In order to access your private messages, click the private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile, next to your profile Name or simply click on this link.

Keep me posted.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.