Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5660 printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Support Assistant says there is an important driver and software update.  But it doesn't seem to want to install it.  It says "You must sign in to this device to install updates".  Of course, "this device" is ambiguous.  Does it mean the PC device I am running on?  Or somehow signing in to the printer?

But I AM signed into the PC AND I'm signed into the HP Support Assistant.

What is going on here?  I guess I will just manually download and try to install, but what is happening with Support Assistant?

I appear to have the latest version of HPSA.  It says it is 8.7.50.3.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@mtiede

Welcome to the HP Support Community.

Uninstall and reinstall the HPSA App. Also, once this is done, right click on the App and run it as an Administrator.

1. In Windows, search for an open Uninstall a program.

2. On the Programs and Features window, select HP Support Assistant, then click Uninstall.

Figure: Uninstall HP Support Assistant

Uninstall screen from the Control Panel with HP Support Assistant highlighted
  3. Click Yes on the Programs and Features screen to confirm you want to uninstall HP Support Assistant.

Figure : Uninstall confirmation

Confirmation screen to uninstall HP Support Assistant with Yes selected
  4. Restart your computer to complete the process.

You can install it from here: https://www8.hp.com/in/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/hpsupport.html

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My experience is that this commonly made suggestion of uninstall and re-install rarely makes a difference.

And it didn't make any difference in this case either.

HP Recommended

The error message has a tad more information about the problem in a little popup window.  It says,

"Sign in to HP Support Assistant on this device (My Desktop) to download and install available updates."

What is "My Desktop"?   Is it trying to say I need to be running an HP computer to get this driver?  I'm running a Dell.  It sees my two HP printers and specifically the Envy 5660 that it says there are updates for.

HP Recommended

Let's manually update the Printer driver.

Uninstall the Printer drivers: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c02259020 and reinstall it from here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Restart the Computer once you uninstall the drivers. 

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As I suspected since I already had tried similar steps, it has the same problem.

I wonder if the problem is because I am using the printer as a wireless, networked printer?  

During the reinstall of the device driver, it complained about not being able to find the printer by the automatic detection methods.  I had to manually provide the IP and then it still didn't recognize the printer.  Then I told it to go ahead and continue with the IP I provided.  It finished the install.  It works just fine.

But the support assistant still says there is an important update and I must login to "this device".

So nothing has changed.

If I had to guess, I would guess that the support assistant needs some programming work.

HP Recommended

The Printer's connectivity doesn't matter in this case. Let's create a new user account and see if it happens in that: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/4026923/windows-10-create-a-local-user-or-administrator-acc...

Keep me posted 🙂

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Tried running Support Assistant in local account.  Didn't change anything.

I used a local account that I had created before (perhaps for this same test)

HP Recommended

Do you have a different PC that you can check if this happens on that?

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Although I do have another computer, so many things are different between the two, what would it prove?  If they both have the problem, then what?  If the other one doesn't have the problem, then what?

The other computer, when HP support assistant is run, shows that there is an update available and there is a "download" button.  But it doesn't say I have to login to "this device".

The printer is a network printer to both PCs and works from both PCs.

... time passes ...

I ran the install on the other PC and it all ran to completion without problem.

Still have the same status on this PC.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.