Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 5740 all-in-one series
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I can no longer wirelessly connect my printer to my MacBook Pro using Catalina.  MBP is 13-inch, 2017 model.  Right next to it is another MBP running the same version of Catalina only its a Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014 and it's working just fine using HP Smart App.  Tried using HP Smart App on the newer model but it can't find the printer.  Checked that both laptops and the printer are on the same network and all are online....  Any thoughts here in the Community?

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@Florida10S, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To be able to assist you better, I would like to know the following:

• Is there any antivirus software installed on your computer?
  • Could you perform a ping test using the Mac Network Utility and let me know the results?

Use the printer IP address to perform a ping test, the printer IP can be located by selecting the wireless icon on the printer display.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Reset the wireless connection on the printer using WPS on the router vs entering password manually and that seemed to do the trick.  Tried the ping test and got 100% packet loss on both MBPs prior to resetting the connection.  0% packet loss after.

Thanks for getting back to me.

HP Recommended

@Florida10S

Happy to hear that.

Let me know if you need any further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Apparently, I spoke too soon.  Now HP Smart shows the printer as offline on both laptops but the printer is on and shows it's connected to the network with a strong signal.  

This is getting frustrating.  Also, when I could print using HP Smart, I had to save the doc off as a PDF first and then print it from the desktop.  The print function from inside other applications (e.g. word, etc.) doesn't recognize the printer.

HP Recommended

@Florida10S

HP Smart app has a limitation of being able to print PDF files only and not Word documents as of now. The updated version will be released soon. 

Installing the printer using the AirPrint driver will help.

Make sure the printer and the MAC are able to communicate.

• Did you run the PING test again and check the result?
  • This printer supports only 2.4GHz network. So, the MAC should be on the 2.4GHz network.
  • If you have a Dual-band router and both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks share the same name/SSID, the printer will not be able to connect to the network. In this case, contact your Internet service provider to assign different names to both the networks.

If the PING test is 0% loss, install the printer

Please ensure that the printer is up to date with its firmware and Mac is up to date with its software. If you are unsure you may use the links below to update the printer firmware and Mac software:

Update printer firmware

Update software on Mac 

1.) Click the Apple menu, click System Preferences, and then click Print & Scan or Printers & Scanners.

2.) Check if your printer name displays in the Printers list, If your printer is listed, click the printer name, click the minus sign to delete the printer.

3.) If you see multiple printer queues for the same printer, remove all extra printers by selecting them one at a time, and then clicking the minus button at the bottom of the list.

4.) Click the plus sign, click Add Printer or Scanner, click the printer name.

5.) Click the Use or Print Using menu, select AirPrint in the pop-up menu. Then click Add.

Select AirPrint from the Use menu

6.) Try to print.

Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

This is really frustrating.  The printer is up to date on all its firmware and I've been using this printer on this network for a year and a half with no problem until I updated my MBPs to Catalina.  Now it doesn't work.  According to the printer, it's online and connected with a strong signal.  It's just that the MAC can't see it without the HP Smart App.  And even in the Smart App it shows as offline when it is online.  

I deleted the printer from my personal MBP and now when I go to add a printer, I can't do anything.  I know that's not your issue but I don't think I should have to go out and buy a new printer to accommodate a new IOS version.... should I?

HP Recommended

Update: I turned the printer off and back on again and now it's working.  Ghosts, I tell you!!  I'll let you know if it craps out again.  Thanks for all the info above!

HP Recommended

@Florida10S

That's great! Happy to hear that.

If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day ahead!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.