Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hp office 6500 wireless
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I have a laptop with windows 7 64 bit OS.  It was running fine until few weeks back that some problems started that I decided to rebuild the laptop with the OS recovery discs....so basically now it has fresh OS installed on it fully updated.

I have a HP officejet 6500 wireless printer which I have tried after reinstalling the OS on the laptop but to no success.  I firstly tried by downloading the full software driver package from HP website and when started the installation...it came up with extraction message ....after that it gave me 2 options usb wired or network/wireless...so I selected the network/wireless option and then it came up with a screen saying - checking system and then it hang on that screen ...... so I rebooted laptop and tried again but same result.  Then I tried installing the usb wired option and got the same result.

I then took out my original cd which came with the printer and ended up with the same result.  I came across this article on HP website and tried to follow it and ended up with same result when reached the point where it asks to run setup

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/Problems-Installing-HP-Solution-Center-SOLUTION-FOUN...

The printer works absolutley fine....any help to get the printer software and driver installed along with hp solution center will be great, and if not then atleast printing and scanning capability....please any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @indy_brt,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand you are having issues installing the drivers for your HP OfficeJet printer. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Is the Device Manager screen blank?

Have you tried to use any third party applications to uninstall the drivers?

Have you tried to create a new User account?

In the meantime, lLet's try a clean install and try. Follow the steps below:

· First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

· Go to Control Panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.

· Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

· Restart your computer.

· Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.

· Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.

· Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer” – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".

· Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.

· Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.

· Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

· Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

· Once done you can try cleaning out your temporary files and cached files. You can try using automated applications like some cleaner software's that you can download from the internet.

· Now restart your computer again.

· Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.

· Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.

· Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.

· Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.

· Click on  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers  please choose the Operating system and version before downloading the installing the latest printer drivers.

· Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

If you are still facing the issues to remove the driver, then try using a 3rd party software removal applications like "Revo uninstaller" or "Wise" to completely remove the programs.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @indy_brt,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand you are having issues installing the drivers for your HP OfficeJet printer. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you resolve this issue.

To provide you with an accurate solution, I'll need a few more details:

Is the Device Manager screen blank?

Have you tried to use any third party applications to uninstall the drivers?

Have you tried to create a new User account?

In the meantime, lLet's try a clean install and try. Follow the steps below:

· First, unplug the USB cable from the printer if present.

· Go to Control Panel – Programs and feature – Select all the HP Officejet printer entries and uninstall them.

· Now go to Control panel – Devices and printer – Select all the printer entries and remove the device.

· Restart your computer.

· Click the bottom-left Start button on desktop, type device manager in the search box and tap Device Manager on the menu.

· Once in device manager, click on the view tab in the top & choose “Show hidden devices”.

· Then from the device manager list, check the entries under “Printer” – If there are any entries, please right click and choose “uninstall” – In the confirm device un-install pop-up, make sure you select the box which says “Delete the driver software for this device".

· Also, check the entries under "printer queue" and "imaging devices" and repeat the same exercise. Delete any printer entry or any entry which says “Unknown device”.

· Once done, close device-manger. Then press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" and press enter.

· Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

· Again, go to run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

· Once done you can try cleaning out your temporary files and cached files. You can try using automated applications like some cleaner software's that you can download from the internet.

· Now restart your computer again.

· Open the Run window again, type “services.msc” and press ok to get services window.

· Scroll down to “Remote Procedure Call (RPC)” – right-click and go to properties. Make sure the service is started and startup type is “Automatic”.

· Now scroll up and go to “Function Discovery Provider Host” – right-click and select properties – Change the startup type to “manual” and start the service.

· Repeat the same exercise on “Function Discovery Resource Publication” as well.

· Click on  https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers  please choose the Operating system and version before downloading the installing the latest printer drivers.

· Connect the USB cable if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.

If you are still facing the issues to remove the driver, then try using a 3rd party software removal applications like "Revo uninstaller" or "Wise" to completely remove the programs.

Let me know if those steps worked for you.

If they did, that’s awesome!

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Jeet,

Thanks for your response.

I followed your instructions and it finally worked.  now i have the printer dirver software installed along with hp solution center.  

The device manager was blank, I didnt use any third party software to uninstall the hp software and didnt have to setup a new user account.

Really appreciate your help.

Thanks again.

Manish

HP Recommended

Hi @indy_brt, I am the Mr.Robot. It looks like you were interacting with @Jeet_singh, but he is out of the office today, so I'll take over from here.

I am happy to hear that your issue got resolved.

If you have any queries in future related to any HP products, you can always reach out to us.

We will try our best to help you out.

Have a great day ahead!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.