Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Ok, I loaded the 5600 driver, and it prints regular pages, but I can't print 4x6 pics and my photo editing software won't print at all, I can't get into the printer setup at all.  I'm going to try the 7760 driver and see what happens, but I'm so close to just buying a new printer...arghh!!! 

HP Recommended

this works  finally after days of worry and thinking I was losing my mind

HP Recommended

I got it to work but did it slightly different .

Now how can we make this printer work via network printing?

I.E..  

Windows xp pro 32 bit-NETWORKED SHARED PRINTER

Via WIN764-to XP32

Can it be done.. Tried just for kicks.  Will not let me locate the drivers...hm...

have it installed and working locally, with one item not working (usb card reader maybe in device manager)   but this seems like a fun hack!

Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.
HP Recommended

Found gold!

Mike Hall MVP - Windows Desktop Experience http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

To share a network printer being hosted by a computer running a 32 bit operating system with another computer running a 32 bit operating system, Vista or XP, you would go to Control Panel > ‘Printers’ > ‘Add Printer’ > ‘Add a network printer’.  Apologies if you consider that I am stating the obvious.

Sharing a printer being hosted by a computer running 32 bit Vista or XP with a computer running 64 bit Vista is not obvious, because if you use the above method, it will not work.

So how? First, you need to know the name of the computer which hosts the printer, and the name of the printer to be shared.

Sitting at the host computer: The procedure is the same for Vista and XP

Start > My Computer > Properties > Computer Name tab > Change button. Write down the name that you see here because this is the computer name.

Start > Settings > Printers and Faxes > Right click on the printer to be shared > Properties > Sharing tab. Write down the name that you see here because this is the printer name.

OK. Now sit in front of the Vista 64 computer:

Start > Control Panel > Printers > Add printer > Add a local printer > Click on ‘Create a new port’ > ‘Local Port’ > ‘Next’.

The port name will look like this: \\Computer name\printer name

So enter the names already retrieved, ensuring that you use the same format, then click ‘OK’.

At this point, you will be presented with the ‘Add New Hardware’ process. You can either select the make and model of your printer from the lists or insert your printer installation disk if you can’t find yours. The printer will be added, and you should be able to print a test page.

Your post has been changed because invalid HTML was found in the message body. The invalid HTML has been removed. Please review the message and submit the message when you are satisfied.
HP Recommended

I don't see the directions...Can you give them step by step?

I am so grateful for this assistance first of all! I was laid off last week and cannot afford a new printer.

Here is the following information:

HP PhotoSmart 7660 series

Model # SDGOA-0376

Purchased printer 12/31/03 (yes, it’s been a while; love it!)

Operating System is 64 bit Microsoft 7

Noticed my MS products I believe 32 bit; how can I make sure what bit it is? Searched everywhere.

Same problem with my Acer Netbook Model # Aspire One 150-1322 shows up in the Add/Remove Programs but nowhere to be found.

Purchased and downloaded Windows Office/Home 2010 pkg., also Publisher 2010.

System Restore earlier date and wiped out my MS apps, and un-did it.

HP website: replacement driver: Deskjet 5600 (HPA) for Microsoft and HP; step by step instructions for both the Netbook and Notebook shows installed successfully. But when I plug in Printer it shows error. In the directions it said to right click hp_53_enm.exe right click and configure etc... That it had to be in the Hewlett Packard folder and not the HP tried both folders.

Installed and uninstalled several times. Downloaded both with USB from printer plugged in and unplugged. In doing it unplugged it does show up in Devices and Printers but, when I plug it in I get an error. Selected to fix problems several times and shows driver not installed.

I have the original disk and tried it several times and it gives me a message driver is not available.

I've spent over 16 hours trying to down load

Please help. I despartly need this printer to print resumes etc. for work.

HP Recommended

I am so grateful for this assistance first of all! I was laid off last week and cannot afford a new printer.

Here is the following information:

HP PhotoSmart 7660 series

Model # SDGOA-0376

Purchased printer 12/31/03 (yes, it’s been a while; love it!)

Operating System is 64 bit Microsoft 7

Noticed my MS products I believe 32 bit; how can I make sure what bit it is? Searched everywhere.

Same problem with my Acer Netbook Model # Aspire One 150-1322 shows up in the Add/Remove Programs but nowhere to be found.

Purchased and downloaded Windows Office/Home 2010 pkg., also Publisher 2010.

System Restore earlier date and wiped out my MS apps, and un-did it.

HP website: replacement driver: Deskjet 5600 (HPA) for Microsoft and HP; step by step instructions for both the Netbook and Notebook shows installed successfully. But when I plug in Printer it shows error. In the directions it said to right click hp_53_enm.exe right click and configure etc... That it had to be in the Hewlett Packard folder and not the HP tried both folders.

Installed and uninstalled several times. Downloaded both with USB from printer plugged in and unplugged. In doing it unplugged it does show up in Devices and Printers but, when I plug it in I get an error. Selected to fix problems several times and shows driver not installed.

I have the original disk and tried it several times and it gives me a message driver is not available.

I've spent over 16 hours trying to down load

Please help. I despartly need this printer to print resumes etc. for work.

HP Recommended

It seems like the directions listed at  the web site can be hard to do.  

TO: MS SHINES WITHIN

SUBJECT: YOUR PRINTER. 

BODY: 

If you need remote assistants, PLEASE CONTACT HP!  They can do it for you over the phone for free if you just talk to them nice.   Maybe flirt with them,  Promise to purchase the prouduct int he furture, etc.  :generic:

If you need one on one help, and can not get it, please email me directly, or contact me via email, and I can help over google chat or over the phone.   

If that is not an option, please ask a freind at the IT department at your school.  That really is the safest bet to get you what you need. Just refrence this thread.

I will have a video up on how to do this one day,  

HP Recommended

Thank you for the suggestion to contact HP I sent a long email.  I will send you it so maybe you can help too.  Just in case I don't get a response.

I need some assistance please.  I've posted my issues for the 21st and 22nd and did receive some solutions and still no resolution.  One of the responders requested contacting HP and that it was free.  So here goes....  I purchased an HP Notebook; OS Windows 7 Explorer 9 (appx. 2 months ago).  With this purchase I rec'd the MS Home/Office 2010 disk and downloaded it on this HP Notebook.  In addition, downloaded onto my Acer Netbook with OS XP Srv. Pk. 3 Explorer 8 128 bit.  Since then I've had problems on both computers for using my printer.  The printer is an HP PhotoSmart 7660 (old but love it).  I have spent now 4 days trying to get the printer to go on both of these computers.  I have tried every step by step downloads and alternative driver for this printer (Deskjet 5600 tried both MS and HP), and the diagnostic tool for both and still nada. On the HP Notebook I was able to get the printer working but...I think it isn't the correct way. I just selected two options that are not on any of HP's instructions and works for now BUT... with the printer USB plugged in, it shows the printer with an error icon (triangle with exclamation point); tried the trouble shooting and it shows no driver installed but able to print. Now the printer icon show printer is there and has the ok check mark, even though the icon above shows error. (Problem #1 on new laptop)  Now on the Acer Netbook I downloaded the MS Home / Student purchased from HP with the new laptop.  I was told that I could download the MS apps on 3 computers.  The error I get on the Netbook (Acer) trying to download the printer after MS app download says: "Operation could not be completed; the PRINT SPOOLER SERVICE IS NOT RUNNING".  I have tried restoring points, opening printer que to see if a document is hung up and there is not.  This printer has been used for 2 years on the netbook with no issues.  This problem only occurred when I downloaded the MS Apps.  The other issue is I have an old Lexmark x83 (scans, prints, copies etc...) tried to add that printer and get the same msg.  This printer (Lexmark) from what I can tell cannot be added to my new HP Notebook and no alternatives.  I am trying to add it to the Acer Netbook because it is supported by the OS XP.  I have been laid off from work and cannot afford to buy another printer.  Can you please help me???  I apologize for the long email and hope I didn't confuse you with all this. [Personal Information Removed]  (no solicitations calls or selling of my phone #) thank you!!  I'm an HP consumer to the core.  Kelly

HP Recommended

Follow directions given by james to make your HP 7660 function under W7.

HP Recommended

Worked OK on XP

Do not have a driver disc.

Help welcomed

Geoff

@ibjerni wrote:

THESE DIRECTIONS WORK!!!!!   FOLLOW THEM STEP BY STEP.....AND WHEN IT SAYS TO GO TO THE 5600 PRINTER IN PRINTERS AND DEVICES AND RIGHT CLICK AND GO TO PRINTER PROPERTIES..........DON'T GO TO PROPERTIES......GO TO PRINTER PROPERTIES

I'VE SPENT 16 HOURS TRYING TO HOOK UP MY HP 7660 AND THIS IS THE ONLY ONE THAT ACTUALLY WORKED!!!!

KUDOS TO THE James1105 FOR THIS FIX!!!!!!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.