Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6956
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Computer finds the printer. the software/drivers software goes thru its hoops as normal.  HP scan Doctor app finds no issue with the setup. doesnt do a the test print.  does internal print when asked then says there is a problem with the printer setup.  have completely uninstalled several times, turned off windows defender (as a last resort).  going round in circles & doing my head in.  Help please. 

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

i think for some odd reason HP site is installing the  incorrect software.  that printer is installed on another desktop as HP  79515B ( HP Officejet 6950)

installing in this case as HP 6950 PCL-3  

HP Recommended

Hi @felix25

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the printer driver issue. 

Try these steps - 

1. In the search box, type and open "Uninstall a Program".

2. Look for HP Printer software.

3. Right-click to uninstall.

4. In the search box, type and open “Devices and printers”.

5. In the Devices and Printers, look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose “Delete” or “Remove Device”.

6. Open the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo. 

7. Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”).

8. Click on the "Drivers" tab.

9. Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click “Remove” at the bottom.

10. Select Ok.

11. Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows.

12. Close Devices and Printers Once the software and drivers are removed.

13. Restart the computer.

14. Download and install the software and drivers from here for Windows 8.1 (64-bit).

15. Click on the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions. 

If the issue still persists, try these steps - 

1) Right-click on the Start or the Windows icon and open run. 
2) In the Run box, type %temp% and hit on "Ok". This will open the "Temp" folder.
3) Select "Date Modified" to "Today" and look for a 7z.... folder. 
4) Open the folder and look for a .msi file. 
5) Right click on it to install. 

Try running the downloaded file in compatibility mode. Once the driver is downloaded, right click on the download in the browser and then click on "Show in folder". Right click on "Properties" and then click on the "Compatibility" tab. Select, "Run this compatibility mode for:" - Windows Vista. Also, check the box for "Run this program as an administrator". 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I shall try what you have recommended and get back to you.  give me a few days  🙂

HP Recommended

Sure @felix25

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

OK  followed your instructions to the letter. no joy. same problems as before (when printing an email it closes the program down by the way. ) I went on to the next steps:  re got up to step (5) i clicked install but dont know where it installed   help pls

HP Recommended

@felix25

Please try creating a new user account and install the printer driver - 

1. Tap the Windows icon.
2. Select Settings.
3. Tap Accounts.
4. Select Family & other users.
5. Tap "Add someone else to this PC."
6. Select "I don't have this person's sign-in information."
7. Select "Add a user without a Microsoft account."
8. Enter a username, type the account's password twice, enter a clue and select Next.
9. Tap the Windows icon.
10. Select the User icon at the upper left corner of the Start menu.
11. Select the new user. You'll then sign into your account with your password from step 8.

Let me know. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi  will try that and get back to you

HP Recommended

qalthough what exactly is the problem. installing printert software should not be so complicated

HP Recommended

re numbetr 8 what do you mean by a clue?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.