Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP laserprint 1102
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hello,

My HP laserprint 1102 was working properly for 2 years until recently, with almost every print, an HP smart install message keeps popping up ; the printer won't print unless I actually click on "open folder to view files using windows explorer", click on SISetup.exe, click on Run on the new pop up window. This is when my printer works.

Why is this happening now and how can I stop it and get back to normal printing?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @BB231,

Good Day.   Thank you for stopping by the HP forums. I reviewed the post for assistance regarding disabling smart install. I will be glad to assist you here. 🙂

Superb description and splendid diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

To assist you better and to provide you with an accurate response I would require more information regarding this.

• Did this pop up recently after a windows or software update?

For now please try these steps:

From the printer front panel open the Service Menu.

Then go to HP Smart Install and set it as Off.

Now Smart Install should be disabled.

If this does not work, please uninstall the printer software by following these steps:

• Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)
  • Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right click on the Windows button to access device manager)
  • Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top. 
  • Click on print server properties. 
  • You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there, if any.
  • Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.
  • Restart the PC.
  • Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box, 
  • Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.
  • It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files).
  • If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.
  • If Regedit option cannot be done, please ignore that step.
  • Restart the PC again. 

Download the latest full feature driver from https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-p1102-printer-series/4110394/model/...  and install it on the computer. Please select the correct operating system.

Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer. 

Here is a forum link to disable smart install also: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/Disable-quot-HP-Smart-Intall-quot-for-USB... You could check it out.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please. Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshooting steps.

Instead, just like you, I am eager to ensure that the problem gets resolved. So I am providing you with more resources and information at your disposal to deal with the situation better.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @BB231,

Good Day.   Thank you for stopping by the HP forums. I reviewed the post for assistance regarding disabling smart install. I will be glad to assist you here. 🙂

Superb description and splendid diagnosis of the issue before posting. Kudos to you for that. 🙂

To assist you better and to provide you with an accurate response I would require more information regarding this.

• Did this pop up recently after a windows or software update?

For now please try these steps:

From the printer front panel open the Service Menu.

Then go to HP Smart Install and set it as Off.

Now Smart Install should be disabled.

If this does not work, please uninstall the printer software by following these steps:

• Uninstall the printer from "programs and features" which can be accessed by doing a right-click on the Windows button (Please have the printer Off and disconnected during uninstallation.)
  • Check in device manager, if the printer is listed there, please delete it. (Right click on the Windows button to access device manager)
  • Go to devices and printers, select any printer listed there and you will get some options on the top. 
  • Click on print server properties. 
  • You will get a popup, click on the drivers tab and delete all the HP printer drivers listed there, if any.
  • Delete all the instances of your printer listed in devices and printers.
  • Restart the PC.
  • Once the PC is on the desktop, press Win + R, it would bring a Run dialog box, 
  • Type %temp% in the run box and click Ok or hit the Enter button.
  • It would bring up the temporary files folder. Delete the files in the folder (You might not be able to delete all the files).
  • If possible, delete the printer from the registries using Regedit or using any other 3rd party application.
  • If Regedit option cannot be done, please ignore that step.
  • Restart the PC again. 

Download the latest full feature driver from https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-laserjet-pro-p1102-printer-series/4110394/model/...  and install it on the computer. Please select the correct operating system.

Connect the printer to your computer only when the setup prompts for the printer. 

Here is a forum link to disable smart install also: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Software-and-Drivers/Disable-quot-HP-Smart-Intall-quot-for-USB... You could check it out.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please. Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshooting steps.

Instead, just like you, I am eager to ensure that the problem gets resolved. So I am providing you with more resources and information at your disposal to deal with the situation better.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a superb week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear david,

Thank you for your reply.

1- I'm not sure I understood how to open the Service Menu on the printer front panel, since my printer doesn't have a front panel. It just has a on/off button.

2- I tried to disable smart install following instructions on the link you sent, but at no point I found a SIutility file or anything similar.

3- I uninstalled the printer software following the steps you described, without the Regedit option that seemed very tricky complicated to perform for a novice.

4- I installed the printer again by simply pluging it in the computer, as I did during the first installation, without downloading the driver, and it seems that everything is back to normal.

5- To answer your question, the only automatic software update that occured recently that I'm aware of is a Acrobat reader update. I cannot establish or deny any link between the update and the problem.

Thank you for you useful help!

HP Recommended

Hi @BB231,

I am glad that the issue has been resolved. Thanks for accepting the solution and for the quick response. You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure. I hope the printer works great and remains healthy for a long time.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.