Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

The HP Deskjet 3054A lost connection to the Mac.  Using the Mac Airport utility and the WPS option on the printer, the printer joins the network but when the countdown timer on the printer control panel reaches about 15 seconds it says "WPS Error" and wifi on the printer is turned off.  Does anyone know why the wifi on the printer shuts off just before completing the countdown?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Good morning @3054AMacUser

I don't know what the WiFi is shutting off before completing the configuration, but I do have another technique to get the printer on your network. As I'm sure you know, a full feature driver for Mavericks is not available for your printer, either from the CD that shipped with your printer or from the HP website. This document applies to HP printers supported in Mac OS X versions 10.6 (Snow Leopard), 10.7 (Lion), 10.8 (Mountain Lion), 10.9 (Mavericks), and 10.10 (Yosemite) that only have drivers available through Apple Software Update.

I can help you put the printer on your wireless network without software. I use this method for iPads, iPhones and other devices that do not have software.

1. Restore the network defaults on the printer by pushing the wireless button, going to settings, and then restore defaults. The wireless button should then start flashing, this means it is now in autowireless mode.
  2. Connect to the network that the printer is broadcasting. It is usually HP-setup-3054a and then part of the MAC address, or some variation of the printer name. The wireless light will still be flashing on the printer at this point, this is normal since this is not an actual adhoc connection.
  3. Load up the Embedded Web Server (EWS) in the browser on your mobile device. The default IP for autowireless is 192.168.223.1.
  4. Go to the network tab along the top of the EWS.
  5. Click on Wireless Setup Wizard along the lefthand side to begin configuring the printer.

EWS wireless.jpg

You have now completed the Wireless configuration, follow the next 3 steps to start printing.

1. The blue wireless light will go solid, put the Mac back on your own network.
  2. Add the printer to the System Preferences.
  3. Print :smileyhappy:

Please let me know if this resolves the issue. I look forward to hear from you. If this resolves the issue, please be sure to click the Accept as Solution button below so others can see what worked for you. 

Thanks. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Good morning @3054AMacUser

I don't know what the WiFi is shutting off before completing the configuration, but I do have another technique to get the printer on your network. As I'm sure you know, a full feature driver for Mavericks is not available for your printer, either from the CD that shipped with your printer or from the HP website. This document applies to HP printers supported in Mac OS X versions 10.6 (Snow Leopard), 10.7 (Lion), 10.8 (Mountain Lion), 10.9 (Mavericks), and 10.10 (Yosemite) that only have drivers available through Apple Software Update.

I can help you put the printer on your wireless network without software. I use this method for iPads, iPhones and other devices that do not have software.

1. Restore the network defaults on the printer by pushing the wireless button, going to settings, and then restore defaults. The wireless button should then start flashing, this means it is now in autowireless mode.
  2. Connect to the network that the printer is broadcasting. It is usually HP-setup-3054a and then part of the MAC address, or some variation of the printer name. The wireless light will still be flashing on the printer at this point, this is normal since this is not an actual adhoc connection.
  3. Load up the Embedded Web Server (EWS) in the browser on your mobile device. The default IP for autowireless is 192.168.223.1.
  4. Go to the network tab along the top of the EWS.
  5. Click on Wireless Setup Wizard along the lefthand side to begin configuring the printer.

EWS wireless.jpg

You have now completed the Wireless configuration, follow the next 3 steps to start printing.

1. The blue wireless light will go solid, put the Mac back on your own network.
  2. Add the printer to the System Preferences.
  3. Print :smileyhappy:

Please let me know if this resolves the issue. I look forward to hear from you. If this resolves the issue, please be sure to click the Accept as Solution button below so others can see what worked for you. 

Thanks. 

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

Thank you SOOOO much.  Your solution worked perfectly.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.