Flag Post
HP Recommended

HP3830 Printer Stopped Working after Widows 10 Update

HP Office Jet 3833
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP3830 Printer Stopped Working after a Windows Update:

OS Edition WIN 10 Home; Version 1803; Build 17134.48; Update Installed 05/12/18

Printer is connected to a USB2.0 port.

Since last Windows 10 update on 5/12 my HP 3830 printer stopped working. When I try to print from any application I get an error.

I removed the printer using windows settings, uninstalled the HP3830 application, and restarted the PC. I downloaded the full software from HP website. Everything completed successfully but the problem was not fixed.

When I print from Word I get “Word can’t print due to a problem with the printer setup”.

I can print from the HP3830 application.

I downloaded the HP print & scan doctor from HP website. I ran it and it didn’t find any problem. When it tried to print a test page nothing came out. However, it was able to print an internal test page.

I appreciate any suggestion on how to resolve this problem.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
12,148 12,100 1,214 2,829
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks for using the HP Forums.

Can you try this:

* *Note that if there are other printers installed, these will need to be reinstalled after this.

Step 1. Uninstall the HP Software from your PC.

Please follow the steps provided to uninstall the printer software in the link: Uninstalling the Printer Software (Windows)

Also, please follow the steps provided below to completely remove the printer software from printer properties.

Steps to remove printer driver files from Print Server Properties:

Step 2. Open the Print Server Properties dialog window by doing one of the following:

• Click the Start menu and in the search field type 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click it in the search list.
  • Press WINDOWS-R on the keyboard to bring up the Run window, type in 'printui /s /t2' (without the quotes), and then press Enter or click OK.
  • From the Start menu or the Start screen:
  • Open Devices and Printers.
  • Select any printer and then click "Print server properties" at the top of the window.
  • Click on the Drivers tab.

Step 3. Backup your registry before making any registry changes, the following resource will show you how:
     https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03485724

Step 4. Update the registry using the Reg file below

Note: this will change some printer related policies for your PC):
     https://www.dropbox.com/s/avbv56zdgwv7600/kernel.reg?dl=1

Step 5. Right click the Start menu and select Run.
     Type Services.msc and press OK.
     Locate and stop the Print Spooler service

Step 6. Browse to c:\Windows\System32\spool\drivers.
     Rename W32X86 to W32x86.old
     Rename x64 to x64.old
     Note: if any of these folders fail to rename reboot your PC and then Continue following the steps starting from Step 4.

Step 7. Restart PC.

Step 8. Finally, reinstall the HP Software.

Hope that helps!

2019_MeetupAward_Signature_FINAL.png

I am an HP Employee
Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Please click “Kudos Thumbs up” as an encouragement and “Accept as solution” if this has helped solved your problem.
SAW23
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I am sorry to report that the procedure was executed successfully as specified.  However my problem is still there.

There is no change at all as a result of the procedure.

Thank you very much for your response.

At this time I have a PC that cannot print.  If I don't get other feedback, I may try your procedure one more time in a day or two. 

0 Kudos
SAW23
3 2 0 0
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

My printing problem was fixed by a Microsoft Level 2 Tech.

First, I want to thank everyone in the Microsoft Tech team, Microsoft Community and HP Support Forum for their efforts and suggestion.

For the benefit of other users and those how volunteered to help me, I will ty to describe what happened. I was only an observer so I may have missed a step or two.

I reached out to Microsoft support. The level 1 tech tried a variation of what was proposed by the community. That didn’t work, so it was escalated to level 2.

At a high level, he removed/uninstalled/deleted everything to do with hardware printers that does not come with Microsoft Windows. FYI, I had a second HP printer that I retired a year ago but left its software on the PC.

Here is a high level of the steps that the level 2 tech did (this also included several restarts):

• Checked for and Installed a Windows update.
  • Shutdown and disconnected the printer.
  • Validated the installed Windows software.
  • Removed the printers in Windows settings.
  • Uninstalled all HP software apps associated with printers.
  • Deleted HP software drivers that were still there in the Widows directories.
  • Deleted some spool and printer subdirectories in Windows\system32.
  • Checked the Device manager and may have deleted some entries in it.
  • Deleted Registry records associated with HP printers.
  • Downloaded and installed HP3830 app and drivers from the HP site
  • Connected the printer and completed the software install
  • Checked the printer and it worked fine
  • I also checked the Microsoft Print to PDF that had stopped working and it also worked at this point.

These steps appear to be very close to what was proposed here.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation